Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 159 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see that JBA has finally released their shorty headers. They are using a smaller 1 1/2" primary as opposed to BBK and MACs 1 5/8. JBA has always been a very high quality header and I am sure these are no different and stainless to boot. Who's going to be the first to try them?

·
Registered
4,516 Posts
I see that JBA has finally released their shorty headers. They are using a smaller 1 1/2" primary as opposed to BBK and MACs 1 5/8. JBA has always been a very high quality header and I am sure these are no different and stainless to boot. Who's going to be the first to try them?
Where did you see them, and did you get the price?

2013 3.7 Manual Candy apple red metallic,
GT 500 stripes, painted side mirror covers, GT 500 spoiler, 2010 GT premium wheels with Pirelli P-zero tires, upper and lower front billet grille, Barton shifter bracket, Airaid Cold air intake, S.R lowering springs, J&M adjustable panhard bar, Boss 302 strut tower brace, 3.73 ford racing gears, Bama tuned, BBK shorty headers, Roush Axel backs.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Autoanything has them on sale for $267! Great price! Jegs and Amazon have them listed as well.

·
Registered
556 Posts

If everybody donates a few dollars each so i can buy them ill be the test rat!..lol. They're claiming a 10-25 hp gain with them. 25 seems pretty optimistic, I think realistically were talkin more around the 10 whp range. They do look to be high quality though.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
I do not like the fact that they are 1-1/2".

Also 10 rwhp maybe down low but you will not have that gain up top.

·
Registered
556 Posts
I do not like the fact that they are 1-1/2".

Also 10 rwhp maybe down low but you will not have that gain up top.
Being that they are 1-1/2" I don't think they will sound as deep as the bbk's or mac's which actually might be a good thing. I know some people complain their exhaust gets quieter after shorties. Since they are more narrow I think it will give off a slightly higher pitch exhaust note than other brands. Just my hypothesis though! :) I like how they look and jba makes good stuff.. I might buy them real soon to try em out.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
I have yet to see an actually picture of these things.

I like how MAC routed the piping much better than the BBK's.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Talked to Dustin @ JBA today and he told me there are 15 sets made right now but the company will not release any pics or dyno info until the vendors orders are filled. That will be within the next 30 days. He did tell me that they are 50-state legal, true equal length(not tuned) and 3/8 flange. The reason for no pre-release is so that no one gets butt hurt if it didn't materialize, they don't like building up the hype. They have been building headers for a long time and guarantee results. I am on the mailing list for the official release, will keep you all informed.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
I just got off the phone with a JBA rep; I asked him what difference 1 1/2' piping would make as compared to a bigger 1 5/8 in bbk/macs? Both performance and sound wise.

The way he was talking to me it seemed it didn't have no clue as to what my precise question is. He goes 1/2' is stock piping size, it will give low end torque and would make exhaust deeper. Aka what a shorty header would do, in general.

It be awesome if someone can pull a trigger and let us all know if these JBAs are any different from bbk/mac.

|| ~BlackOnBlack~ ||

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
There's a guy on here (Mark_Ash0426) that JBA used his 3.7 as a test car for the shorties! I know he was suppose to get a pair for headers once they completed the product but I haven't heard if he's gotten them yet!

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
Not sure how i feel about it not being a tuned length, thats really what maximizes the gains with the cam tuning. Granted, i dont make headers for a living, so what do i know.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Not sure how i feel about it not being a tuned length, thats really what maximizes the gains with the cam tuning. Granted, i dont make headers for a living, so what do i know.
Equal length is the key to making a little more hp when using shorties

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
I don't think it works like that, scavenging is scavenging, and when an engine like the 3.7 has tuneable cams, you want to maximize those exhaust gas pulses to maximize VE. I don't feel like typing a book on scavenging, so I found an article that explains it.

Tuned vs Equal Length Exhaust Systems | Leading Edge Exhaust Systems

They may be using the words "equal length", and "tuned" interchangeably, but a "tuned length runner" is still the optimal choice.

1 - 20 of 159 Posts