Mustang Evolution Forum banner

101 - 120 of 159 Posts

·
Registered
727 Posts
Yea, jubi's pictures are why I wanted to see if a year or so later they were still the same. I am still 50/50 on just spending the extra $100 for the hooker shorty headers that are 304ss tubing and flanges with a lifetime warranty.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Those were my headers. I was not very happy with the quality of them and sent them back. #1 cylinder tube where it went into the flange was crimped down 1/4" because of the unnecessary angle it entered. The weld around the ports looked like some cheap blackjack headers and would of needed cleaning up in the tube as well. Then, the flange was not stainless and would of rusted up in no time. Sure they would of worked but the BBK quality was much better. Talks with JBA confirmed all headers were like mine. For what it's worth...

Sent from my XT1565 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Yea I was reading your post and copied your pics to share with the group. Good pics and info thanks!!

·
Registered
727 Posts
Wow , why would they do that I wonder? Mild steel is stronger and cheaper but for that application my curiosity is killing me. I wonder if I'll get an answer if I ask JBA?:D
Keep in mind, the bbk and Mac shorty are entirely mild steel. At least with the jba the tubing is 409. With one of the coating options, the flange will last a good long time.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
869 Posts
So could I paint them with high temp paint?

·
Registered
727 Posts
You can yes, how long it will last is before starting to flake is another question.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
For what it's worth

I made some inquiries into the JBA headers and materials.
They do have all stainless steel headers (304 stainless with 304 stainless flange) but they apparently are in the long tubes.

As far as the shorty headers they said, "With our shorty headers we only offer 409 16g stainless tubing with 3/8” Mild steel flanges. The best option would be the 1618SJS ceramic coated option. They run 180 degrees cooler on the surface than a bare option and will not rust.

1618SJS
http://images.pertronix.com/Exhaust Products/JBA Exhaust/1618SJS.jpg

According to the picture they show, it looks like they provide bolts and washers to replace the OE studs. That a good idea and something that would have made the BBK easier to install.

·
Registered
727 Posts
I ended up picking up the titanium ceramic coated Monday while they were still 25% off. I'll post up pictures when they arrive. Planning on using the jba bolts and reusing the OEM gaskets with only 17k, maybe get new OEM if I get motivated.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Haven't even opened mine yet except to check that they were in the box. It did come with a small hardware kit that I assume is the new studs. Today is my first day off since last Wednesday and I've got plenty to do, so headers are not on the agenda yet.

How much did you end up paying for the ceramic coated ones?

Sent from my #racecar

·
Registered
53 Posts
I ended up picking up the titanium ceramic coated Monday while they were still 25% off. I'll post up pictures when they arrive. Planning on using the jba bolts and reusing the OEM gaskets with only 17k, maybe get new OEM if I get motivated.
Do you order your JBAs from autoanything? Somehow, I remember they only offer 15% off on JBAs. 25% off is really good deal.:thumb:

Edit: just see your reply on price. 432 is very good. Congrats!

·
Registered
727 Posts
Do you order your JBAs from autoanything? Somehow, I remember they only offer 15% off on JBAs. 25% off is really good deal.:thumb:

Edit: just see your reply on price. 432 is very good. Congrats!
Yes, it's typically 15% but end of last week through Monday autoanything was running some anniversary sale for 25% off and jba was one of the included items.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Initial unboxing. The welds look pretty good overall and the coating is well done. 1 or 2 minor surface scratches but they don't penetrate the coating. If the weather and work cooperates I'll install Friday, finish Saturday if needed.

If you want to see any other ****s let me know and I'll grab them when I get time.

·
Premium Member
963 Posts
Why do those ports leaving the engine look all weird? Like, not quite a perfect oval. Any of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

·
Registered
727 Posts
Some inconsistent in their raised sealing rings. I don't think it's anything to worry about. Especially compared to the crappy Mac headers I was sent from AM 8 months ago that went back.

·
Premium Member
963 Posts
Some inconsistent in their raised sealing rings. I don't think it's anything to worry about. Especially compared to the ****ty Mac headers I was sent from AM 8 months ago that went back.
Lol :p I will say my BBKs looked pretty good.

I was just curious because people spend 400-500 porting their intake manifolds to get everything smooth. So adding something....flawed? Would seem odd to me.

101 - 120 of 159 Posts