Mustang Evolution Forum banner

121 - 140 of 159 Posts

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
Its hard to tell, but it looks like that coating is very thick. I'd imagine the build up around the runners is just an excess of coating. That being said, it does look pretty uneven and i'd wonder about it maybe getting in the way. Who knows.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Hasan is in Costa Rica right now also for pre med internship!!

Haha, cool. He lives just an hour or so from me back home. Small world!

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Initial unboxing. The welds look pretty good overall and the coating is well done. 1 or 2 minor surface scratches but they don't penetrate the coating. If the weather and work cooperates I'll install Friday, finish Saturday if needed.

If you want to see any other ****s let me know and I'll grab them when I get time.

Thanks for the pics. Definitely going to be an easy install.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Thanks for the pics. Definitely going to be an easy install.
Yea, overall not too bad. A couple of tight spots for the middle bottom, not terrible just a lot of short wrench turns. I already did macs once, then removed because the passenger side was off and the midpipe wouldn't line up.

I'll find out this weekend if I've got time.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Lol :p I will say my BBKs looked pretty good.

I was just curious because people spend 400-500 porting their intake manifolds to get everything smooth. So adding something....flawed? Would seem odd to me.

That's kind of pricey for a port job.

2013 mustang v6 premium package
Powder coated gold metallic wheels
MPT ghost cam tune
Quarter window louvers
3.55 gears manual

2008 fz1

·
Premium Member
963 Posts
That's kind of pricey for a port job.

2013 mustang v6 premium package
Powder coated gold metallic wheels
MPT ghost cam tune
Quarter window louvers
3.55 gears manual

2008 fz1
Not just porting though, shipping and anything else you would consider also (new gaskets as well if needed).

When people think of porting, they just think of the 350-400 charge. They don't consider all of the other things. Not super cheap to mail 2 intake manifolds back and forth.

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
Yea, overall not too bad. A couple of tight spots for the middle bottom, not terrible just a lot of short wrench turns. I already did macs once, then removed because the passenger side was off and the midpipe wouldn't line up.

I'll find out this weekend if I've got time.
How would you rate their install compared to the MACs? Specifically bolt access / total time?

·
Registered
727 Posts
How would you rate their install compared to the MACs? Specifically bolt access / total time?
I got them 99% installed yesterday in about 3.5 hours. I ran it and the passengers side collector needs to be tightened up a bit more but by then my wife was home and it was time to stop. Install was no more challenging than the MACs, but the pipe routing meant smaller wrench turns on more of the bolts. The install probably would have been faster but after the fitment issues I had with MAC, I test fit with the JBA bolts just enough to hold them on and verfiy everything lined up with the mid pipe. Then went back and installed them for real.

I ended up reusing the stock studs in all but 1 spot. One of the spots on the drivers side only the bolt would work. Studs because once tight they generally stay that way where bolts for the first month or so can still work back loose. I also reused the stock metal gaskets rather than the steel core that JBA provides.

Will get it all buttoned up today, go over all the nuts again after warming it up yesterday then take it for a drive and let you guys know what I think.

Reactions: Super javi

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
Thanks brother. I put headers on hold after my JBA ordering fiasco (AutoAnything over sold what JBA had in stock and was waiting on new batches to literally be manufactured.) The JBA pipe curves "appeared" that access to the mounting studs would be easier than it would be with the BBKs. An extra hundred or two is a whole lot less money when you are banging knuckles and cursing in the garage with tight clearances and workspaces. :)

·
Registered
727 Posts
I ordered them on a Monday and they shipped on Thursday from jba. You probably just caught them in a production cycle.

It was still tight but not too awful of an install.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Bump for install and performance info
Install wasn't bad at all. I think I spent about 3 hours on it and I wasn't in any hurry. I reused the stock studs on all but one spot, it was too tight so I went with one of the jba provided stainless bolts there.

Was chasing a bit of a tick sound after on the driver's side, went back and put a fresh OEM gasket in plus a skim of copper rtv to ensure no leaks.

Power wise the car is definitely smoother in the lower rpms but I wouldn't say it's a huge change up top. At some point I'll get a datalog and send it to mpt to see if any tweaks can be made with the headers now.

I was seriously considering the hooker headers, but the jba were on sale for $100 less so I went with them.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Super javi

·
Registered
727 Posts
this puts me in question. to my understand, the point of header is make exhaust gas of each cylinder go through same length of path. this holley design seems not achieve that.
The reality is, the stockers are so poor that anything is an improvement.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Install wasn't bad at all. I think I spent about 3 hours on it and I wasn't in any hurry. I reused the stock studs on all but one spot, it was too tight so I went with one of the jba provided stainless bolts there.

Was chasing a bit of a tick sound after on the driver's side, went back and put a fresh OEM gasket in plus a skim of copper rtv to ensure no leaks.

Power wise the car is definitely smoother in the lower rpms but I wouldn't say it's a huge change up top. At some point I'll get a datalog and send it to mpt to see if any tweaks can be made with the headers now.

I was seriously considering the hooker headers, but the jba were on sale for $100 less so I went with them.

So we've both had the mac shorties, how do compare the mac verses the jba sound and performance wise?

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
this puts me in question. to my understand, the point of header is make exhaust gas of each cylinder go through same length of path. this holley design seems not achieve that.
Hooker is too proud of their shorties $$$ great company but dont see myself paying that coin for an unequal lenght non tuned lenght header. 304 ss is nice but for as shorties go seems like BBK ceramic is the ones to go with.

·
Registered
727 Posts
So we've both had the mac shorties, how do compare the mac verses the jba sound and performance wise?
I honestly can't compare performance. The Mac shorties I got had fitment issues. They were probably half inch off from lining up with the passenger side of the midpipe and ended up being shipped back to AM for a refund.

Install wise the macs were marginally easier but I wouldn't say it was by much. Fit and finish of the jba are miles ahead of the mac headers, especially the welds.

Since I'm on my phone, here's the installed pics.

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
Looks good brother.

121 - 140 of 159 Posts