Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
8,779 Posts
How difficult is it to drop a k member?
It's a fairly extensive and difficult job.
You will need to support the engine and car properly as you are dealing with a structural support of the vehicle.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Not really that bad. Remove power steering rack from k member. Remove calipers. Remove top strut nut. Support engine. Loosen motor mounts and one ground strap on pass side. Remove eight bolts holding k member to body. Lower. With the right tools could probably be done in an hour if you know what to do

·
Banned
8,779 Posts
Not really that bad. Remove power steering rack from k member. Remove calipers. Remove top strut nut. Support engine. Loosen motor mounts and one ground strap on pass side. Remove eight bolts holding k member to body. Lower. With the right tools could probably be done in an hour if you know what to do
All right, you must be a lot younger than me. ;) :lol:

·
Registered
441 Posts
Trojan Horse said:
All right, you must be a lot younger than me. ;) :lol:
Lol i probably am but i also Manage and operate a full service auto repair/performance center so i do these things all day every day.

As long as you have a safe way to support the engine it really is a job anyone could do with the right tools. Some people might not have sockets big enough for the strut nut ect

·
Banned
8,779 Posts
Lol i probably am but i also Manage and operate a full service auto repair/performance center so i do these things all day every day.

As long as you have a safe way to support the engine it really is a job anyone could do with the right tools. Some people might not have sockets big enough for the strut nut ect
Practice does make perfect and speedier too.
I've worked on cars and all kinds of machinery my whole life, but like I alluded to before I am getting older, so I'm not in the rush I used to be. ;)

·
Registered
10 Posts
I am about to install LT on my 1998GT. And I was told to drop the k-memeber. I'm hopping I don't need to but we will see. I don't want to remove the engine. How would I support the engine the best? Using a jack from underneath or use a cherry picker and support it from the top? If I use a cherry picker where would I attach it to the engine with the upper intake still on. It still has the plastic lower with the updated thermostat housing. Thanks for the help

1 - 7 of 7 Posts