Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
I think many folks will say that it's not worth it. It's unlikely you're going to get more power simply from replacing the air filter .... if that were the case, then they would come with the car and I am not aware of ANY car that comes with these filters (I may be wrong). Sorry, I don't buy the MPG claims since car companies spend a FORTUNE trying to meet CAFE standards and if a filter could yield 1 MPG everyone would do it. I am pretty sure Ford could manufacture filters like these on the cheap if they really provided that much benefit. Just MHO, of course.

You may save money on replacements ... but you need the cleaning kit, and the time to clean them. You're supposed to let the filter dry naturally ...

Most CAI's come with a replaceable, oiled filter but generally the filter area is larger overall, and the tune that most CAI's require yield the performance gains.

If I didn't have a Steeda intake, I'd still be using a paper filter, personally.

·
Registered
559 Posts

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
That's messed up to lose power, if tests weren't rigged.
yeah, I was looking at the 3 runs, and they really are really close.

Makes me wonder what the deal was. 2 of 3 tests on both filters were almost identical. 3rd test was either "way" above or "way" under in comparison.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I used to run them on everything. Now I won't run one. They flow more because they allow more to pass through the filter, and the oil can screw up your MAF. I'll only run a paper filter in everything from now.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Though I have not yet put the aftermarket air filter on my 13 GT CS, I can attest that the K&N that I put on my 06 dodge 3500 gave 6mpg the next day. I have a spare K&N so when it is time to clean it, I just change it out and clean at my leisure. 1 mpg is a slow payback, but a payback nonetheless. My truck started with 14 mpg, tweaked it to 28 today. Good luck!

·
Registered
692 Posts
Keep in mind that this was just a drop in filter assembly. Had the actual tubing changed as well as a large conical filter been added, I'm sure a 5 rwhp gain would have been seen

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
I used to run them on everything. Now I won't run one. They flow more because they allow more to pass through the filter, and the oil can screw up your MAF. I'll only run a paper filter in everything from now.
+1 just ran one for about 6 months and was very disappointed, back to paper and couldn't be happier

1 - 12 of 12 Posts