Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is somebody has experienced a knocking engine problem with a very low mileage 7022 km ?

The problem occurs with a cold engine as soon as it warms up everything seems OK.

PS I checked the oil level it's OK.

:disgust:

BP

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, in fact the usual "scenario" is : the time to start the engine to let it idle for 15 to 20 seconds and to run a couple of blocks and then if I let the car at idle (traffic light) altogether maybe 1 minute or so... I will hear the knocking sound and it will disappear after 1 or 2 minutes of idling...

According to you, could it be serious...

BP

·
Premium Member
1,461 Posts
Run a little higher octane. What octane gas do you run now? I would try 89/90 if you use 87, or try 92/93 if you use the previous one.

·
Premium Member
1,461 Posts
Black Panther said:
I use the 87 I'll try the 89 next time (actually my tank is full)

Thx I'll try it for sure

BP
Ya know, you can go to wal-mart or something and get some octance booster if you got a full tank.

·
Registered
4,272 Posts
Crispy said:
I got pinging today for the first time ever, I use 89 octane, my next option within reasonable distance is 93, no gas stations serve other octanes. Would the fact that im a few miles over due for a tuneup factor in at all? PS I jus broke 100,000 last night :)
do the tune up

on a side note yankees up 3-0

·
Premium Member
1,461 Posts
Yes, around 100K you should change your spark plugs. Ford and other manufactures put platnuim plug in their vechiles which are good for 100K. So it's most likely the electrode on your plug is worn down making the gap too big.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
brent - plugs, wires, fuel filter

about the octane booster -- it is utter crap. they sell these bottles for like $3-4 each and they raise your octane from 87 to 87.2. that won't make a difference at all on the knock meter. octane boosters increase in tenths instead of full points.

i doubt his main bearings are going out already. he has a 2004.5 mustang and with roughly 3200mi on his car, i would certainly hope it's not the bearings.

lastly, BP - if the higher 89 octane doesnt fix it, take it back to ford. you still have a warrenty on it and it shouldnt make that noise at all. heck, you could take it back now because the v6 mustang is designed to run on 87 octane and you shouldnt have to spend $0.10 more each gallon because it is causing detonation. your call though of course

·
Registered
45 Posts
Black Panther said:
No, in fact the usual "scenario" is : the time to start the engine to let it idle for 15 to 20 seconds and to run a couple of blocks and then if I let the car at idle (traffic light) altogether maybe 1 minute or so... I will hear the knocking sound and it will disappear after 1 or 2 minutes of idling...
So the car "knocks" while idling? Then it must be something else. Since its a 5spd it could be the throw out bearing making noise.

Is the A/C on when it happens?

You do not get spark knock at idle. It must be something else.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I tried the booster and that darn noise was still there, I went to the dealer and I get an appointment on Thursday morning. They better fix it correctly (engine or clutch) I'm becoming mad and sorry in the same time... I like that car...

BP

1 - 20 of 26 Posts