Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
check your oil, and what is the oil pressure gage reading when this is happening? how many miles does it have... lots of variables

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Are you sure it's from the lower end? Top end? Could be anything from noisy valves to a rod knock. It's hard to say. But definitely check oil level. I know sometimes when the level is low, it takes a few seconds for it to lube the valves and springs. But it's hard to know for sure without hearing it.

·
Banned
126 Posts
Thad is one of the difference in regular oil and synthetic oil. Regular went a car are could and off all the oil gone Down to the oil pan, so went u crank it in the Morning you hear Thad noise because is not oil to lubricate valve sprint ext. synthetic oil alway some stay on top to lubricate and reduce noise and extend the live of the engine. We suppose to wait the engine got a little warm before star running and it is really special with regular oil, Thad is went the oil gone up, sorry if my English are no the best, I hope u got the idea.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have 133000 on my '03 GT. I use regular oil but replace 1 quart with a quart of Lucas. Works great for me.

·
Registered
70 Posts
What weight oil are you using?

·
Registered
131 Posts
It doesn't matter if you use synthetic or regular oil that is not what controls if oil is draining back to the crankcase your oil filter has an anti-drain back valve that prevents the oil from running out of the motor not weather it is synthetic or regular. Also your oil viscosity makes a big difference if it suggests using 5w-20 I would use it if your running a higher lower number IE 10w instead of 5w that could be why it ticks on start because the oil is to thick when cold

·
Registered
28 Posts
+1 for piston slap. I would not be to worried about it. I've seen these engines run for a loooong time with piston slap when the engine is cold.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Just to jump in here from my exp. After 70k miles or so of hard driving the timing chain guides tend to wear out therfore not holding enough pressure on the lifters letting them bleed down after sitting for a bit. So when you go to crank it up they will rattel until filled with oil. Since there is no lash to set on the 4.6 heads all you can do is replace both chains and the guides. One option to know for certain is get a Dr. Heart listening device sorry can't remember the correct name but you know the ones nurses have around there neck LOL have a friend start the car while you listen with it on the oil pan if that checks out move to valve covers and so on. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Yep, piston slap. It common. As long as it stops after it warms up a bit your good. Is it a loud knock or just a slight knock?

---------- Post added at 09:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:34 AM ----------

Also, If u have a really thick oil in there the longer it will take to warm up and lube the engine. So you'll want a thinner oil for this time of year.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts