Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased the 1&7/8 long tubes and green cats and will be doing the install in the next couple of weeks.
I 'm thinking about dropping the K member and I am curious if anyone has done this install in this manner.
Some specifics, did you do it on rack or on stands and how did you support the engine.
I'm thinking about using an engine cradle from above so that my jack is free to help drop the k member but any other info from those who've done this would be extremely helpful.
Thanks!

·
Registered
385 Posts
Please post your install experience... It’s on my list too.

Also, I’m interested in Your Stage 2 E-Force install. Did you use only the stock kit, or did you also do some supporting mods like OPG and crank sprocket? This is also a mod I’m considering, and would like to here your opinions. Are you on an Edlebrock tune or something els?

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I bought the Complete kit from Brenspeed, Supercharger boost a pump injectors, etc. along with tune. Had a few bugs to work out but it was pretty straight forward. I bought there 650 horse kit which comes with the 3.5 in pulley and I went to there 675 horse kit which goes to a 3.25 in pulley and also adds a 175 degree thermostat and Ford racing cooling fan. I had good service with them but did all the work myself so if you go with them, I can give you some other details.
I'd also recommend looking up a site called the department of boost, they have some interesting articles.
I liked the design of it but its pretty much capped around 700 hp unless you do some other things. I got it with a 500 dollar rebate so it ended up costing me about 6K for everything. Haven't changed OPG's I have them but haven't installed them. I don't thrash it a lot in fact it only been out once since December. I think the centrifugal chargers have more of an issue as they hang additional mass on the balancer and that tends to contribute to it. Some people claim I'm playing roulette while others say don't worry be happy.
Feel free to contact me if you have additional questions.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Thanks for the info. I considered installing it myself, but being disabled kind of moves me in the other direction. I also don’t have a good place to work and would probably need to buy some more tools (no sure on that one). For that reason I contacted Brenspeed for an install quote, but gave up after waiting to hear back for 6 weeks now.

I realize it’s not rocket science, but I like the idea of having the tune maker / Kit maker doing the install in case something needs to be tweaked. Next best thing to me is a local tuner/Dyno shop with experience using this kit.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info. I considered installing it myself, but being disabled kind of moves me in the other direction. I also don’t have a good place to work and would probably need to buy some more tools (no sure on that one). For that reason I contacted Brenspeed for an install quote, but gave up after waiting to hear back for 6 weeks now.

I realize it’s not rocket science, but I like the idea of having the tune maker / Kit maker doing the install in case something needs to be tweaked. Next best thing to me is a local tuner/Dyno shop with experience using this kit.
I've contacted them by email multiple times and they've always gotten back to me, in fact I bought the headers from them (75$ rebate) and catted X pipe from Jegs (100 off). Give them a call before you give up.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I've contacted them by email multiple times and they've always gotten back to me, in fact I bought the headers from them (75$ rebate) and catted X pipe from Jegs (100 off). Give them a call before you give up.
I have been a Brenspeed customer before, and had no problem contacting them by email. Not this time however... I've sent 3 and they just went into the abyss. I'll give them a phone call and another email, but I'm not really happy with them right now. It doesn't mean I wouldn't buy their products. It just means they won't be doing any work for me.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I recently purchased the 1&7/8 long tubes and green cats and will be doing the install in the next couple of weeks.
I 'm thinking about dropping the K member and I am curious if anyone has done this install in this manner.
Some specifics, did you do it on rack or on stands and how did you support the engine.
I'm thinking about using an engine cradle from above so that my jack is free to help drop the k member but any other info from those who've done this would be extremely helpful.
Thanks!
OK given the silence on this site, I'll take it none of you have dropped the K member to install.
Well I just completed it so some details for dong this with out a rack/lift.
1) harbor freight is your friend. I bought a dead blow hammer, tie rod puller and jack stand pads for 35 bucs.
2) don't count on the tie rod ends coming out easily, used a puller and ended up they had to be replace as on re assembly the tie rod ends turned and weren't able to be tightened just bite the bullet and order new ones.
As for supporting the vehicle, put the rear wheels on ramps and put the jack stands, with pads n the pinch weld at the recommended lift points.
Procure an OTC 1725 engine support, makes life very easy and rides on rails on the inside of the fenders and on the upper rad support/hood latch area. Also bought 10-14 coyote lifting hooks from FastHemis on Ebay, 40 bucs but hooked right up to the engine support directly. The bolt to the front side of drivers cylinder head and back of the cylinder head on the passenger side took half an hour to set this up and it worked better than expected.
K member comes out with 8 bolts and use for floor jack to support and drop the k member.
Mounts come out in 2 minutes and the beauty of all this is you can raise and lower the engine at will. Makes disconnecting O2 sensors etc alot easier.
Two complaints about Kooks, which I will feed back to them.
1) SOB's didn't send the nuts to connect the Xpipe to the headers and
2) in my case it was a SOB to connect the passenger rear O2 sensor, I hato lower the tranny a bit to get the wire down far enough to plug in that took an hour of finagling.
Also I removed the support from cross member to rad support when I dropped it. May not be an issue for 10-12's as I don't think they came with that support.
All in all it went as well as I could hope.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts