Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
***I am having my clutch replaced with all parts provided.
-Can someone tell me the total cost just for the Labor?
~Parts supplied will be clutch kit, flywheel, FRPP throw out and pilot bearings, throw out bearing sleeve, clutch fork, clutch fork adjustable stud bolt, MM clutch cable kit, and cable heat shield.

-What was your labor only cost?
My first quote was $650.00
Ford will provide labor cost tomorrow
Thank You,
-Robb

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
its a lengthy process, so i would imagine the 450 to 650 range. also, everyone is gonna tell you to ditch the frpp throwout for an actual ford oem bearing. apparently the frpp's die out fast like any of the other aftermarkets.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
I just got finished installing a clutch on mine and I can tell you that it's nothing you can't do yourself. My car is a 98 with the T-45 and my throw out bearing was toast, clutch fork had a broken throw out bearing retainer and my stock clutch friction surface was just about completely gone. The t-45 already has a steel bearing sleeve on it but if you have a T-5 then you definitely need to upgrade to the steel version. I'd highly recommend doing it yourself and saving the money for other things because outside of removing the rusted exhaust hardware and the starter it's really not hard at all. I decided to get a ford racing flywheel and the spec stage 2 clutch and I love it. I don't recommend getting an aftermarket clutch cable or anything like that, but a billet clutch quadrant is a good idea because the plastic one could break. I suggest doing a fluid swap also while you're in there because it's good cheap insurance.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

·
Super Moderator
17,800 Posts
If my dad and I can do it in 3.5 hours on a lift from start to finish with hand tools and stopping to have hamburgers, no reason a good shop can't do it that fast. I wouldn't pay more than 4 hours of labor no matter what they try to quote.

·
Registered
440 Posts
***I am having my clutch replaced with all parts provided.
-Can someone tell me the total cost just for the Labor?
~Parts supplied will be clutch kit, flywheel, FRPP throw out and pilot bearings, throw out bearing sleeve, clutch fork, clutch fork adjustable stud bolt, MM clutch cable kit, and cable heat shield.

-What was your labor only cost?
My first quote was $650.00
Ford will provide labor cost tomorrow
Thank You,
-Robb
flat rate should be 4.5 hrs X their labor rate,run from the place that quoted $650. my 19 year old grandson with no experience did it in 4 hr by himself. made him so he would take better care of this one

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
made him so he would take better care of this one
The world needs more of this.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Mustang Evolution mobile app

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Clutch job on these is SO easy. I replaced a clutch on my 99 GT in under 4 hours in my back yard on small jack stands.. Laying on my back in the grass lol. I was 19 and my dad wouldn't let me do it in the garage.

hell, he only let me 'borrow' one bay in his garage for precisely 4 days to do an engine swap when I was in college the winter before that. Got it done! Basic hand tools and jack stands is all you need

Only thing I would take my car to the shop for is brakes. I hate working on brakes and its usually not much money to have them do it.

·
Super Moderator
17,800 Posts
I have a really hard time believing that you are ok doing a trans change on your back in the grass but don't want to take the 2 hours total to do brakes on all 4 corners... like... Eh, whatevs. Brakes are so damn easy to do on most cars, the only time it sucks is when the tires haven't been rotated in forever and the rotor or drum is stuck. And then a BFH and a block of wood usually does the trick.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
I have a really hard time believing that you are ok doing a trans change on your back in the grass but don't want to take the 2 hours total to do brakes on all 4 corners... like... Eh, whatevs. Brakes are so damn easy to do on most cars, the only time it sucks is when the tires haven't been rotated in forever and the rotor or drum is stuck. And then a BFH and a block of wood usually does the trick.
I know how to do brakes...

I think you must have miss-understood me when I said that I "hate" doing brakes.. Boring and rusty and it just takes all day lifting the car up with my frakin scissor jacks just do mess with something and then realize I need to go get another stupid bleeder nipple because the one on the caliper was 100% decayed ****.

It takes more of my time than its worth. Shops can do brakes faster than me-- they have a hoist and its cheap enough for me to not mess with it on my own time.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
yea. easier to afford a brake job than a clutch job.
but id still be doin my own brakes, rusty or not. course, when i got my car, i had to change the calipers anyway, so i had the luxury of a few new parts. I almost changed the bracket, but i couldn't get the bolts off. didn't have as many tools then as I do now. Kinda wish i switched em though. 160k old rusty brackets are quite unsightly.

·
Super Moderator
17,800 Posts
Gotcha. I have a power bleeder and a bunch of tools and a quick lift jack and I also don't trust shops to touch anything I own.

·
Super Moderator
17,800 Posts

·
Super Moderator
17,800 Posts
Massive machines lol, but what builds THEM? Where does it stop!?

I watched a show on motors like this, apparently the cylinders have access hatches and they can be shut down individually for maintenance while the motor is running.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts