Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
long story short last time i changed oil was almost 2 years ago. I normally change my oil every 6k or 6 month, but since i moved last year ive been busy and forgot all about it. I think i have about 7-8k miles in the 2 years. 90% mileage was put on 1st year. 2nd year car was barely driven.

As of right now i dont experience any noise or symptoms. Should i worry? did i cause any wear or damage? or have i dodge a bullet since i dont experience any noise or symptom? I use pennzoil full synthetic every time if it makes a difference.

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
I would change the oil. Once a year giving your circumstances seems sufficient.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Changed the oil today noticed oil filter was leaking abit, oil level was little below(a quart less estimate) and oil started to have some sludge! Now im worried, what are the possible damages?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I would go to your local auto parts store and purchase some engine sludge treatment. This is put into your engine and has chemicals to help break down any sludge that might be remaining in your engine. After you follow the directions, I would then recommend doing it again.......I would then put fresh oil and filter in. As long as the engine starts, You should be okay. I would not run it any until you have the engine treatment in it however.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Don’t put any treatments in your oil. Just get something less expensive like a synthetic blend, new filter, then drive the damn thing. About 500 miles would be good. Then change the oil/filter again using your normal oil.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Seafoam works great in crankcase oil. Never did anything to my vehicles other than exactly what the label promises.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
thanks guys for the help, I plan to do another oil change in the next 1k miles to flush any remaining sludge.
the oil was really dark and abit thick at the bottom once old oil settled in the catch pan. It had a thick layer didnt move much when being tilted. Does this mean it already cause wear in my engine? driving with low oil little below minimum(lost a quart oil) not sure when happen mostly likely in 2nd year when it was barely driven, any possible damage?

·
Registered
14 Posts
thanks guys for the help, I plan to do another oil change in the next 1k miles to flush any remaining sludge.
the oil was really dark and abit thick at the bottom once old oil settled in the catch pan. It had a thick layer didnt move much when being tilted. Does this mean it already cause wear in my engine? driving with low oil little below minimum(lost a quart oil) not sure when happen mostly likely in 2nd year when it was barely driven, any possible damage?
I doubt you have any engine damage. Plus, Don't listen to the fool who says to NOT put treatment in your oil. If you have sludge build up in your motor, It will cause the new oil to not circulate properly via all the tight clearances, If you run it like that you will indeed begin to scour things and cause damage. They make treatments for a reason, Seafoam will work also and you can get that at walmart. You need to make sure you put something in that will breakup and dissolve any left over sludge. After which you will then need to put new oil and a filter in. I would recommend spending the money by putting in full synthetic.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Look / \$$hole... I’m not a fool. It’s a dice roll when it comes to circulation of dislodged particulates in a close tolerance engine. A Coyote engine is not a marine engine.

He might get lucky and he Might not. Strong solvents do not belong in this engine. Just because you were idiotic enough to do this and you had fool’s luck, doesn’t mean you should encourage others to do the same.

·
Registered
8,396 Posts
An old trick for cleaning out the crankcase was to change the oil, and use one quart of automatic transmission fluid, (Some of the old-timers would use diesel) And let it sit there and idle at operating temperature for a while. The high detergent would clean her right out!

I don't recommend doing that, or using any other additives in the oil.
Modern motor oil already has a detergent additive that cleans the engine crankcase.

Remember, this is the same engine that is used in pickup trucks. There are thousands on the road, right now, recieving minimal care, driving around with 4-5 quarts of dirty oil in the crankcase....
I wouldn't worry too much about your engine.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks guys, yea i also dont feel comfortable with engine flush solvents. From what i searched on google 10k miles in 2 years with full synthetic oil, sludge shouldnt form that quick. But what i saw was tar like, a layer on bottom off catch pan it was nothing i saw on youtube videos regarding sludge. Most miles was put on first year, 2nd year car sits there probably get driven once every2-3month with around 4-500miles total in 2nd year. After reading you replies i abit less worried now, fingered cross and changing my oil next 1k miles.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Thanks guys, yea i also dont feel comfortable with engine flush solvents. From what i searched on google 10k miles in 2 years with full synthetic oil, sludge shouldnt form that quick. But what i saw was tar like, a layer on bottom off catch pan it was nothing i saw on youtube videos regarding sludge. Most miles was put on first year, 2nd year car sits there probably get driven once every2-3month with around 4-500miles total in 2nd year. After reading you replies i abit less worried now, fingered cross and changing my oil next 1k miles.
A couple of quick changes should do the trick.

You made a wise decision.

·
Registered
8,396 Posts
It was probably the infrequent use that is the cause of the sludgy substance. That is pretty typical for an engine that is used like that, or driven on short trips, where the engine oil doesn't come up to full operating temperature.

·
Registered
197 Posts
The priority is to get the garbage/sludge out of the crankcase, like yesterday. Seafoam and like 'safe' additives will do the job quicker and better than new oil alone. Clean oil and filter is very important but slow. Need to dissolve the junk and clear up passages and gathering places in the motor, soon. A fav engine cleaner, the best I have found, is Kreen from Kano Labs. This stuff plain works. Read up on it and follow directions to enjoy clean internals.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I just change the oil every 5K with pure syn. 5w20.
Im at 75k on my 14 GT. never had to add a drop in between oil changes.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I have a better solution.
Look for Mobil Drive clean, but 8 quarts and a new filter in.
I really doubt with modern oils that you have built up any sludge when going 7-8k miles.
The engine test for this category equates to roughly 9K miles and the oil will not have made any sludge in that time frame.
The mobil drive clean works. There is actual test data to support it.
The snake oil not so much

1 - 17 of 17 Posts