Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,461 Posts
I've found that with street tires, its best to launch at about 2000 rpms. It gives the tires perfect amount grip and really launches the car. I had a buddy try it in his 00 V6 when I was in Omaha and he was getting 1.8sec 60' times.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I'm not familiar with the term launching, but I am thinking it may be to rev your engine to a specified rpm and take of from desired rpm of 2000, seems to be for most vs idle of about 700. What's launching? Those that replied to me in increasing speed, thanks for setting on track and painting a realistic pic. So even with a supercharger and nitrous you won't get that fast?

·
Registered
941 Posts
launching is going forward off the line. it's the single most important part of drag racing. balancing the line between bogging and burning rubber on street tires isn't easy. the best launch for a v6 (stock) is about 2,000. bring it to 2,000rpms and keep it there. when the light turns green, quickly slip the clutch and try not to bog or give it too much gas so she just spins.

to give you an indication how important launches are, my car that makes 175rwhp/200rwtq often beats stock and bolt on 5.0's (more power and lots more tq than me) simply because they suck at launching. i get the jump on them early on and they have to play catch-up.

austin

·
Premium Member
1,461 Posts
Dom said:
500 RPMs.
You launch at 500 rpms? How is that possible? You car idles at like 700. Anything less and your car would die.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
haha thanks alot i have heard that it was around 2 although that seemed a little low. I gues thats what happens when you try and beat your friends bmw's.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I know **** about cars but somehow I thought that would be of convinience. I just can't figure out how to do it on an automatic, anyone? How do I launch on an automatic? Maybe neutral and then hitting the D?

·
Registered
349 Posts
how much do stall converters cost and how do i use them? How will it allow me to rev to 2k rpm and launch?

·
Registered
116 Posts
97Stallion said:
I've found that with street tires, its best to launch at about 2000 rpms. It gives the tires perfect amount grip and really launches the car. I had a buddy try it in his 00 V6 when I was in Omaha and he was getting 1.8sec 60' times.
1.8 60' times? What kind of tires was he on? I usually launch at 2.5K rpms and I dont burn the tires too bad and I dont bog at all. I still am only able to manage 2.3 60'. I know I would see a 14 second pass if I was able to get my 60' down. Any suggestions on how to do this?

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
megax29 said:
how much do stall converters cost and how do i use them? How will it allow me to rev to 2k rpm and launch?
I know nothing about autos. I barely know anything about manuals.

But basically, you have a torque converter between your engine and transmission that is covered by the bell housing. The torque converter does what it says it does. It converts torque to the wheels.

It works like having two fans placed in front of each other and having one on. The both spin. When both fans reach the same speed, it's called a stall speed. That's when it shifts.

Or atleast, that's how I understood it on Popular Hot Rodding TV. :p:

·
Premium Member
1,438 Posts
to my understanding a stall converter does what the manual guys are doing..it revs the engine more to raise the rpms thus u will have a quicker launch off the line like manuals can do.

·
Premium Member
1,461 Posts
1quick6 said:
1.8 60' times? What kind of tires was he on? I usually launch at 2.5K rpms and I dont burn the tires too bad and I dont bog at all. I still am only able to manage 2.3 60'. I know I would see a 14 second pass if I was able to get my 60' down. Any suggestions on how to do this?
try doing it at 2000 and you'll be amazed. You have a 5-speed I assume. Just dump the clutch completely. My friend was on street tires. Normal radials that is.

·
Registered
941 Posts
1quick6 said:
1.8's are possible with drag radials and some torque and practice. (it took me some drag suspension and slicks to get to mid 1.8's. :-/ ) that's a HELL of a launch for street tires obviously. i don't have any reason to be mean and call a "BS" but don't be aiming for that, because that's some skill and luck right there. :) a 2.3 isn't a horrendous 60'. keep on practicing and put tires to correct psi (and get good tires!). 2.2 60's are about the best i've seen on stock tires and stock car. i only pulled a couple mid 2.2's when i was stock.

austin

1 - 20 of 38 Posts