Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
04 GT, cats deleted, Flowmasters, CAI. Cheap 245's for the rubber.

Buddy of mine has an 04 WRX. I am fairly confident he is going to get a spanking at the track next week, but I am concerned about my launch against an AWD. I'm not out to destroy my car, and neither is he. I just need a little advice on a safe, effective launch.

·
Banned
3,606 Posts
Is he stock? If he has a tune and few minor bolt ons alone he will likely beat you every time. Best bet is get you some DR's. Only way you have a chance. AWD is great on launch. If he has experience. A lot people can't launch the WRX's and big them at the line.

Also you a auto or manual for launching help?

·
Premium Member
6,003 Posts
I launched at 3 grand and spun them. I only had 3.55s. I have a manual transmission. 2400-2600 should be a good launch range if you got a manual

·
It's not me, it's you.
6,752 Posts
If you know how to feather your clutch you can launch at just about any rpm without spinning. Clutches are like brake pads and tires, made to wear. If you're not prepared for that, you shouldn't race. Just sayin.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am enrolled in ASE master's courses. I understand a vehicle. Understanding the components doesn't make me able to launch my car though. I believe with what he runs, with a good launch I will beat him. We're buddies so its no grudge match, I was just hoping for some general tips for the guy who isn't always out racing his car.

·
It's not me, it's you.
6,752 Posts
Very nice! The best advice is repetition! You gotta get out their and find your personal sweet spot. You know your car better then anyone else. Your parts and your own driving technique is your own. Practice,
I'll give you a tip.
Go that way, really really fast and if something gets in your way... Turn!
-Better Off Dead
Lol, jk

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks man. I think ill just practice a little behind my work (its a huge warehouse) I figure a couple launches will at least get me a little feel for it. I'm sticking to my prideful prediction of a Subaru loss!

·
Banned
3,606 Posts
I'm a manual. He runs 14.2's at best with a Tune.
This is what he has ran? or what you think it runs? They are low 14 sec cars stock. WIth tune/down pipe/cold air/catback they have went mid 13's. Its all if he can drive it.

Being a manual and saying have cheap tires start at 1400 or so rpm's and work way up. You will want to learn to slip/feather the clutch out so don't blow the tires off,

·
Registered
648 Posts
primer2tone said:
Very nice! The best advice is repetition! You gotta get out their and find your personal sweet spot. You know your car better then anyone else. Your parts and your own driving technique is your own. Practice,
I'll give you a tip.
Go that way, really really fast and if something gets in your way... Turn!
-Better Off Dead
Lol, jk
I want my two dollars!

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
wnt2gofst said:
This is what he has ran? or what you think it runs? They are low 14 sec cars stock. WIth tune/down pipe/cold air/catback they have went mid 13's. Its all if he can drive it.
14.2 is his best pass, proven by both my eyes and slips when I wasn't in attendance. I always saw the WRX rated in the mid 14s stock so that number seemed right. We even bet what he would run after he installed his Accessport, he thought he would run in the 13's but I guessed 14.1. He is basically intake, exhaust, and the Cobb Accessport right now.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
14.2 is his best pass, proven by both my eyes and slips when I wasn't in attendance. I always saw the WRX rated in the mid 14s stock so that number seemed right. We even bet what he would run after he installed his Accessport, he thought he would run in the 13's but I guessed 14.1. He is basically intake, exhaust, and the Cobb Accessport right now.
Technically.. Isn't an '04 GT running around a 14.2 as well?

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ColeJohnson said:
Technically.. Isn't an '04 GT running around a 14.2 as well?
That was my understanding... Stock. I may only have a CAI, and exhaust work (I forgot to mention I have a UPR shifter in there too..) Should put my estimated time a little up on him. But this is all speculation. My guesstimation is victory, but I know its going to be a good race or three.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
AgentOrange said:
That was my understanding... Stock. I may only have a CAI, and exhaust work (I forgot to mention I have a UPR shifter in there too..) Should put my estimated time a little up on him. But this is all speculation. My guesstimation is victory, but I know its going to be a good race or three.
Well more power to ya! At any rate.. The race will be a blast!

·
Registered
711 Posts
Well the wrx are a pretty good car. Good thing it's not a sti though. Lol those 4 cyl have more power then our v8. Simply because of the massive turbo

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Oh I know all about those. Another friend of mine has a fully built STi that ran a 12.5 the other night. He had to spray co2 all over the intercooler to get those numbers... But he got 'em. I ended up buying the mustang because it has more potential, its American, and it costs less to build up.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Yep. More cylinders, more displacement, MORE POWER. That thing he used was probably a cryo2 setup. Lol why doesn't he just get an actual methanol injection system or nitrous lol

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It wasn't a "system" at all. He and the WRX guy got some paintball tanks filled, popped the hood, and hosed the top mount down before each run. He wants to do meth supposedly, I don't know why he doesn't. He has everything else done. Blocks even cryo treated.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts