Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I normally park in the garage. Today after driving I notice a leak directly in line with my rear tires. I am not sure what or where it came from. I have a few pictures of underside of my car. I no almost nothing about being a machanic but in the one picture you can see a small discoloration in the metal. I also took a picture of my tranny fluid but it was directly after driving. Can anyone help me out. My car is an auto with full exhaust and Lund tune. Just wanted to mention that incase I have to bring to a dealer. ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1468869296.233971.jpg ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1468869310.621190.jpg ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1468869358.628887.jpg ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1468869374.980526.jpg

·
Registered
190 Posts
So I normally park in the garage. Today after driving I notice a leak directly in line with my rear tires. I am not sure what or where it came from. I have a few pictures of underside of my car. I no almost nothing about being a machanic but in the one picture you can see a small discoloration in the metal. I also took a picture of my tranny fluid but it was directly after driving. Can anyone help me out. My car is an auto with full exhaust and Lund tune. Just wanted to mention that incase I have to bring to a dealer. View attachment 203516 View attachment 203517 View attachment 203518 View attachment 203519

Spray the diff with degreaser and wash the fluid off then then watch to see if it comes back quickly or slowly . Probably just the breather cap which releases fluid when the diff heats up .

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

·
Registered
455 Posts
Take it to the dealer and have them take a look, but agree it is more than likely the Dif breather! The TSB for the issue is 14-0046.:thumb:

·
Registered
382 Posts
The two known rear leaks are pinion seal leak and the axle breather leak.

·
Registered
731 Posts
The breather isn't a big deal is it???

That looks like a pinion seal to me

·
Registered
382 Posts

If its pinion seal then you have to bring it in for warranty and fix breather while you at it. I had a pinion seal leak around 10k miles, had to go in twice due to incompetent mechanic.

oops i thought u were op lol

·
Registered
382 Posts
If it's either of those issue do you think the dealer will give me a hard time due to mid pipe and tune?
shouldnt as it has nothing to do with the leak but knowing dealer they can use it against you.

·
Registered
190 Posts

I sure hope not , mine has leaked for a while now . I've checked the seal multiple times thinking it was that which kinda worried me

·
Registered
382 Posts
I sure hope not , mine has leaked for a while now . I've checked the seal multiple times thinking it was that which kinda worried me

check the connection between driveshaft and rear axle, if theres a leak it should show.

·
Premium Member
2,757 Posts
As everyone else said, it's either the overflow or pinion. To me it looks like the overflow because the pinion usually throws it in a 360 or 180 degree pattern...although it's really hard to tell from your photos.
I had my pinion go out at less than 7,000 miles and my 14 TrakPak had a lot of mods...lowering, aftermarket UCA/LCA's and a tune. If I were you I'd get a plug that says Do Not Reflash...then the dealer won't touch the port without talking to you. My dealer just replaced the pinion seal under warranty...IMHO

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
As everyone else said, it's either the overflow or pinion. To me it looks like the overflow because the pinion usually throws it in a 360 or 180 degree pattern...although it's really hard to tell from your photos.

I had my pinion go out at less than 7,000 miles and my 14 TrakPak had a lot of mods...lowering, aftermarket UCA/LCA's and a tune. If I were you I'd get a plug that says Do Not Reflash...then the dealer won't touch the port without talking to you. My dealer just replaced the pinion seal under warranty...IMHO

Thank you everyone. I will bring it to the dealer this weekend. It doesn't look like much is leaking now but I will keep an eye on fluid level until then.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
They could blame the exhaust and tune. You never know.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts