Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just hot under the car for the first time after purchasing my 07 mustang gt. There seams to be a leak near the rear differential. The forward facing portion and running forward is covered with a light oil stain. Help!

·
Registered
984 Posts
Just hot under the car for the first time after purchasing my 07 mustang gt. There seams to be a leak near the rear differential. The forward facing portion and running forward is covered with a light oil stain. Help!
Hmm my 05 has same oil stain but not sure where it came from or how long it's been there cause I recently changed my differential oil which is when I noticed it

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I'm not too sure how long it's been going on. I think I will just clean it up for the time being and change the fluid. See where it is coming from. Oh joy!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Is the oil leak stain actually on the differential? I think there is a vent at the top of the passenger side rear differential that can blow out some fluid at high speeds. I've got some fluid on mine as well.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's actually caused the concrete below to stain. Not bad. But it can be seen where it has been slowly dripping from too.

---------- Post added at 01:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:30 AM ----------

The more I think about it, the more I think I might of damaged it. I hit a deep pothole a couple weeks back and for awhile couldn't find anything wrong. Lol, apparently I was wrong.

·
Registered
58 Posts
It's actually caused the concrete below to stain. Not bad. But it can be seen where it has been slowly dripping from too.

---------- Post added at 01:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:30 AM ----------

The more I think about it, the more I think I might of damaged it. I hit a deep pothole a couple weeks back and for awhile couldn't find anything wrong. Lol, apparently I was wrong.
That sucks man, sounds like it is the pinion seal where the driveshaft connects into the differential. 2 Hour Job pretty much if you're savvy.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Any idea how much the parts would be off hand? Obviously I'm not letting this areas ****ty mechanics touch my car so I will be doing it myself.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Any idea how much the parts would be off hand? Obviously I'm not letting this areas ****ty mechanics touch my car so I will be doing it myself.
National 3604 - Oil Seal | O'Reilly Auto Parts

I think that is it, also may want to look for metal damage when you remove the old seal in which case I think you'd need a repair sleeve which you can also get from most parts stores. $22

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sweet man! Thanks for the help. I'll get under it later this week to get it done and let you know!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You were right! Seal was leaking! Replaced and working like a champ!! You guys are awesome!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts