Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever swapped out their tail light bulbs for led ones? I plan on tinting my tails and wanted to know if I can just straight swap them out or if I would need anything else since their my turn signal flasher lights as well..

·
Registered
672 Posts
I put them in my fox body for awhile, I don't think you're going to get the look you want with them. The housings need reflected light for them to work and the LED's focus all of their light straight out the back. Your lights end up looking like 3 little circle lights instead of the big taillight sections. I almost got rear-ended a few times also when the sun was beating down on my taillights and no one could see the lights even come on.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I put them in my fox body for awhile, I don't think you're going to get the look you want with them. The housings need reflected light for them to work and the LED's focus all of their light straight out the back. Your lights end up looking like 3 little circle lights instead of the big taillight sections. I almost got rear-ended a few times also when the sun was beating down on my taillights and no one could see the lights even come on.
Good point got there man!
Don't they also make a diff design where you can also have LEDs on the side of the light bulb not just the top, that might help a lil
Did u have to use anything else besides the lightbulbs tho?

·
Registered
598 Posts
I had installed red LED tail lamp bulbs an yes it looked like three dot. The LED bulbs I had also had LED's on the back to illuminate the reflector inside the lens. Yes it looked cool but the illumination was nearly half. You also are suppose to install Red LED's on red lens not white on red. I installed the slyvania super white standard halogen bulbs to prevent from being rear ended.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Perfect timing. My vinyl tint for my taillights came yesterday and I was needing something brighter. I was thinking sylvania bulbs.

---------- Post added at 07:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:29 PM ----------

When I did my dash lights, I tried blue with the factory blue film but wasn't bright. So I went with white less, with the blue film, its a lot brighter.

So I would've guessed the white on red would be brighter.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts