Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Longtube headers, Yes or No?
If you say yes explain why, post dyno numbers and header brands!
No? Then do the same, I want to make this one a stickie!

·
Registered
29 Posts
If you're capable of doing the installation yourself sure. If you need to hire someone to do it it's a lot of money when you figure 1K for the headers and another 1k for install. 2K for 15-20 HP is a lot of money.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you're capable of doing the installation yourself sure. If you need to hire someone to do it it's a lot of money when you figure 1K for the headers and another 1k for install. 2K for 15-20 HP is a lot of money.
If i buy them im installing them, paying someone is pointless, unless you got mad bread

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Wow 1k for install? That is really high.
My local speed shop would install for 450 and the highest quote i got was 600.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I say yes... you are looking at a 30-35hp increase for a full system. They are pricey to begin with, and may be difficult to install on your own. If you got the bread, have a tech install them for you. IMHO, the exhaust is one of the very few areas Ford Engineers left on the table for a bit more improvement(OEM Tri-Y headers are very good, though)... skip the air box and throttle body!

Depending on which manufacturer you go with and want to keep it 49-state legal, it can be installed without requiring a tune and not throw any codes.

Kooks headers in 1-5/8" or 1-3/4" for stock to minimal bolt-ons. 1-7/8" or 2" for forced induction and very high horsepower levels.

Going with Kooks Headers with 1-5/8" primaries and Ultra High Flow(GESI) Catted X-Pipe... already have their Cat-back exhaust system. I have no plans or desires for an intake manifold swap, internal engine changes, or forced induction. I'll try to post before-after numbers when they are done next month.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I've got ARH longtubes with a catted X-pipe.

Pluses: Immediate gains, future mods will be more beneficial.

Minuses: ground clearance is sacrificed, especially if you're lowered. You won't be going over speed bumps or steep driveways quickly/easily. The install is a pain. Was actually easier to just drop the K-member (we were doing the Ford Racing suspension at the same time too). The X-pipe portion is easy to scrape, despite best efforts to not hit anything...

·
Registered
515 Posts
I've installed a couple sets of Stainless Works headers, great quality and spot on fitment. You'll gain more with F/I, N/A you'll gain around 25 hp with 15 of that by removing the cats.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts