Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in texas, in texas we have a front license plate law that requires you to have a front plate. Do not want to get pulled over for any stupid reason. Soy question is where are you all putting your front plates and how are you attaching them. There is no place to put one on my 11' gt 5.0. Just wondering. Do not want to drill any holes in my bumper.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I live in texas, in texas we have a front license plate law that requires you to have a front plate. Do not want to get pulled over for any stupid reason. Soy question is where are you all putting your front plates and how are you attaching them. There is no place to put one on my 11' gt 5.0. Just wondering. Do not want to drill any holes in my bumper.
There is a front plate law in Ohio too. A few of my friends have something like this. A flip up front license plate frame. This a a manual one but there is also a motorized one....hope it helps.

Mustang Flip Down License Plate Holder - Manual at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping!

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Well. I have been running almost a year without my front plate!!! I don't venture outside of Houston much.

When i do, I wedge the plate in between the windshield and the dash on the passenger side. Nice and snug and totally visible. I believe it is legal to so that, and I see a lot of cars in Houston doing that too (nicer cars).

There are a lot here that don't run front plates as well. 1/5 of the cars I see.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Check ccmustangbrackets.com

Look for your model year. I got one so I could put a Boilermakers plate in front of my 11 black 5.0

Think I paid like 36 bucks

·
Registered
366 Posts
Does your car have a indentation where a plate would go? It's. Hard for me to tell. My car does have one and at some point the previous owner had one on the front (there are two holes). I haven't put mine on. Its still in the original envelope under my driverseat. I also have a bra on my car. I have never ever been stopped or questioned.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Does your car have a indentation where a plate would go? It's. Hard for me to tell. My car does have one and at some point the previous owner had one on the front (there are two holes). I haven't put mine on. Its still in the original envelope under my driverseat. I also have a bra on my car. I have never ever been stopped or questioned.

UPDATE. I went checked your album and saw that you don't have the indentations. BTW Sweet Mustang!! If you don't want a ticket, I'd listen to Midnight or get a bra it will protect the front end from roadtrash and no need to put a plate on.

·
Premium Member
26,052 Posts
there are many front plate holders that dont require holes, get one of those and you should be good. Some are quick disconnects so you can pop them off at shows/events so the car looks better

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
If you really want to attatch it to the bumper, if you pull the whole front off, as in grill, bumper, and lower valence, then you can get to the backside of the bumper.

There are two spots that stick out like straws. You drill through those. You'll also want to make sure you get the right bracket, as the one I have from Ford, that was already installed for me (yay for having the holes and no choice in the matter...) is curved to snug to the bumper.

Also recommend not using the cheap plastic tabs that come with it to hold the bracket on. Already lost one bracket, and had to buy new license plates.

Second bracket I used screws and nuts and bolted that sucker down tight. It won't be going anywhere anytime soon.

·
Registered
374 Posts
SCCofSV said:

UPDATE. I went checked your album and saw that you don't have the indentations. BTW Sweet Mustang!! If you don't want a ticket, I'd listen to Midnight or get a bra it will protect the front end from roadtrash and no need to put a plate on.
Ford does sale a front plate bracket!! One mounts underneath the bumper, and one screws to the front bumper!!

·
Registered
276 Posts
BTW - it is not legal in Texas to put the front plate in your window. It has to be in the proper location and there can be nothing covering it.

That said, I ran without a front plate on my old SRT and was only pulled over twice in four years. One warning and I got a ticket in Plano once. They said I could put the plate on, take a picture and they would dismiss the ticket. I used twist ties to attach it to the grill, took the picture and then took it right back off.

·
Registered
264 Posts
It has to be at the front of the vehicle, not just facing the front. Yea, sometimes you might get away with it, but it's really almost easier to just not run one and take your chances, since other states around us don't have front LPs. Unless the officer was paying attention to notice you don't have a front LP and have a Texas rear LP or 2 stickers on your windshield, you're good to go. Having it in the window sticks out like a sore thumb to the guy stopping cars for no front LP. I've been in law enforcement for 11 years now. No front LP isn't one of my pet peeves though, because I don't run one on my cars.

---------- Post added at 06:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:53 PM ----------

BTW - it is not legal in Texas to put the front plate in your window. It has to be in the proper location and there can be nothing covering it.

That said, I ran without a front plate on my old SRT and was only pulled over twice in four years. One warning and I got a ticket in Plano once. They said I could put the plate on, take a picture and they would dismiss the ticket. I used twist ties to attach it to the grill, took the picture and then took it right back off.
That works unless the judge wants to verify it in person, then you're screwed. In smaller towns where they're not very busy, it's possible. Larger cities, you can get away with it most of the time.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
13BlkSunshine said:
There is a front plate law in Ohio too. A few of my friends have something like this. A flip up front license plate frame. This a a manual one but there is also a motorized one....hope it helps.

Mustang Flip Down License Plate Holder - Manual at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping!
I keep mine on the passenger floor. I'm "waiting for my appointment at Roush to get it put on, since they forgot..." if I get pulled over. If it becomes a bjg deal, I will just attach it to my grille. Supposedly we are switching to rear plate only, in Ohio.

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
UltArc said:
I keep mine on the passenger floor. I'm "waiting for my appointment at Roush to get it put on, since they forgot..." if I get pulled over. If it becomes a bjg deal, I will just attach it to my grille. Supposedly we are switching to rear plate only, in Ohio.
I have been hearing that, and I am going to be pissed since I have two holes in my bumper I didn't get a choice on. Not sure what I am going to do if that happens.

·
Registered
598 Posts
I never ran a front plate on my last car. In 15 years I had one fixit (and there's a story there)--I just paid the $25 extortion & moved on. Front plate currently rides in the trunk. If I have to, I'll get one of those removable brackets.

·
Registered
265 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts

The way the law is worded in Texas you must have a plate visible from the front and from the rear. No where in the law does it state you must have it visible outside the vehicle. Unless the locals are complete yahoos you should be alright. I understand people don't want to drill holes in their cars and typically look the other way as do most of the guys I work with.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I have had my car 2.5 years now, my front plate is on a shelf in my garage. Been pulled over twice about no front plate, did not get a ticket either time. Both times, the officers BS'd with me about the car and how they had a Camaro but wished they had gotten a Stang.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts