Mustang Evolution Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
My High School collection (class of 1971 :( ) was a 1956 Olds upped to a 1963 VW Bug :cry:

·
Super Moderator
17,947 Posts
There needs to be a "special" driver's license requiring a written test, practice course and then a real world road test in a vehicle over a certain HP amount IMO or you can't buy one. Want a Hellcat? Have the money for one? Then you can afford to get that license too.

I know I sound like some controlling asshat but when you put Joe Schmuck in a midlife crisis behind 700hp and the most they've ever driven is a 300hp sedan you are going to have issues. It'll never happen tho. Well... not unless there is a high profile case where a child is killed by someone driving one of these cars and even then.

·
Registered
8,443 Posts
There needs to be a "special" driver's license requiring a written test, practice course and then a real world road test in a vehicle over a certain HP amount IMO or you can't buy one. Want a Hellcat? Have the money for one? Then you can afford to get that license too.

I know I sound like some controlling asshat but when you put Joe Schmuck in a midlife crisis behind 700hp and the most they've ever driven is a 300hp sedan you are going to have issues. It'll never happen tho. Well... not unless there is a high profile case where a child is killed by someone driving one of these cars and even then.
Sort of like the high performance endorsement that is required by the FAA for a pilot to legally fly a "complex" aircraft with more than 200 hp, retractable landing gear, and a variable-pitch propeller.

I don't think that they will ever require such a license for automobiles either. There are already laws in place prohibiting almost any kind of dangerous driving that you could ever think of. Here in California, there is a vehicle code that prohibits "exhibitions of power". I'm sure most other states have something similar.
Requiring a license certifying that you are proficient at doing something that is illegal to do in ANY vehicle on the public roadways, would be ridiculous.
What I could see happening one day, is a horsepower limit restriction by the feds, on vehicles sold in the United States. Because, in reality, there isn't a car or light truck on the road that "needs" any more than about 400 hp to complete any perceivable task, legally, that may be asked of it. Hell, 400 hp will even move a 80k pound 18-wheeler down the road nicely!

I hope they just leave our freedom alone.

·
Registered
3,274 Posts

You've been reading too many European motorcycle laws.

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
There are already laws in place prohibiting almost any kind of dangerous driving that you could ever think of. Here in California, there is a vehicle code that prohibits "exhibitions of power". I'm sure most other states have something similar.

In GA that citation is referred to as "exhibition if speed". We also have a super speeder citation here, as well as aggressive driving. I have recently paid the fines, attorney fees, court fees, and every other surcharge possible for reckless driving.

Let's just say that I could have rebuilt my 02 GT for the price I paid the State of GA. To answer the question on everyone's mind; I did not see the "One Way" sign, and drove the wrong way on a one way. I fought that ticket with all I had, and in the end paid many times over what a simple reckless fine would have been. Oh, I also paid the "Wrong Way on a One Way fine" that I wanted instead of a reckless charge. I didn't expect it to be added to the reckless.

I spent 4 years debating this before I finally gave up. So I also had 4 years of court costs, continuances, etc.

There is a moral to this; pay you citation and go on with your life. Oh, and read the street signs, even when they are small and tucked behind trees and bushes.

·
Super Moderator
17,947 Posts
Sort of like the high performance endorsement that is required by the FAA for a pilot to legally fly a "complex" aircraft with more than 200 hp, retractable landing gear, and a variable-pitch propeller.

I don't think that they will ever require such a license for automobiles either. There are already laws in place prohibiting almost any kind of dangerous driving that you could ever think of. Here in California, there is a vehicle code that prohibits "exhibitions of power". I'm sure most other states have something similar.
Requiring a license certifying that you are proficient at doing something that is illegal to do in ANY vehicle on the public roadways, would be ridiculous.
What I could see happening one day, is a horsepower limit restriction by the feds, on vehicles sold in the United States. Because, in reality, there isn't a car or light truck on the road that "needs" any more than about 400 hp to complete any perceivable task, legally, that may be asked of it. Hell, 400 hp will even move a 80k pound 18-wheeler down the road nicely!

Pretty much. Self driving vehicles will fix most or all of these problems soon anyway. Big fight there will be peoples "right to drive" vs roads where only self driving cars can get on. Call me a lemming or whatever for thinking this is a good thing but for 80-90% of roads it will be. But I do hope there will still be areas where ppl can drive on their own. At least our generation(s) will be "grandfathered" most likely but for those being born right now, who knows.

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Pretty much. Self driving vehicles will fix most or all of these problems soon anyway. Big fight there will be peoples "right to drive" vs roads where only self driving cars can get on. Call me a lemming or whatever for thinking this is a good thing but for 80-90% of roads it will be. But I do hope there will still be areas where ppl can drive on their own. At least our generation(s) will be "grandfathered" most likely but for those being born right now, who knows.
Scotty, that is a depressing thought in my mind. I love cars and driving though.

·
Super Moderator
17,947 Posts
Its coming... 10-15 years and there will be a LOT of autopilot or full self driving vehicles on the road. It will be a culture shift for sure and will take a lot of time. That is if we haven't got into a nuclear war with someone by then anyway...

·
Premium Member
1,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Its coming... 10-15 years and there will be a LOT of autopilot or full self driving vehicles on the road. It will be a culture shift for sure and will take a lot of time. That is if we haven't got into a nuclear war with someone by then anyway...
There's already a LOT of drivers on autopilot texting on their phones. The problem is that their cars are not yet autonomous.
We have a new distracted driving law here in Washington State that covers ANY use of the driver's hands other than driving. It even makes eating and driving illegal!
Thank you big brother on that one!......but I am SOOOOO against cell phone use (especially texting!!) and driving that I now honk my horn next to any driver I see doing so.....and not just a short honk either. Drivers used to hold their phones up on the top of the steering wheels while texting, and now with the texting and driving laws, they hold them way down in their laps.....not sure that is a huge improvement....
I have thought about being first in line at a red light next to someone absorbed in their phone, and accelerating just a few feet to see if they will shoot out into the middle of traffic......I know....:facepalm:......evil thought.....

·
Premium Member
1,385 Posts

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
I have seen countless axles break at the track. VHT is sticky. The engine wants to turn, and the tires want to grip.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Can there really be two Mustang drivers this bad trying to show off at the same time? Where are all of the gifs of Camaro crashes? l]
Wouldn't chevy have to sell some camaros for people to be able to crash them.....

21 - 33 of 33 Posts