Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 96 cobra and its feeling sluggish lately. When i cruise at about 3500 rpm then floor it nothing really happens, it doesn't wake up and scoot like it used to. Just kind of gradually/ slowly picks up speed and gets loud. Couple months ago it used to explode in throttle response when i hit the gas. It feels like i'm driving my old honda prelude.

I suspect it may be the lmrc's because everything else is new. Just changed Oil, fuel filter, Plugs, wires, coilpacks all oem and gapped to spec... Seems to idle and run great under normal driving.

My mods are k&n fipk air intake, 3.73 gears, o/r x, spintech 2.5 catback, and bama tuned.

Any information to diagnose and/ or help fix would greatly help, i hear you can delete them all together, or even turn them off with a custom tune. Or maybe It could be something else...

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1slosix said:
try cleaning the MAF, TB, and IAC...Also a good seafoaming couldn't hurt
To clean the maf and tb don't you just spray it? Do u know what the symptoms are of bad lmrc's by chance?

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
no problem...i could of typed it all but when i can just link it with pics why not lol

·
Registered
19 Posts
I had the same exact problem on my cobra. It's your intake manifold runner controls. They open up the secondary intake at 3200 rpm. If imrc motor fails, your cobra just falls flat on its face around that rpm range. The motor itself from ford comes with both cables that hooks to the runner, and if I remember correctly costs around $200-$250. I did the work myself, and it was a real pain in the ass. The shop quoted $500 in labor, so I sucked it up and spent a weekend in my garage

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
98C0BRA said:
I had the same exact problem on my cobra. It's your intake manifold runner controls. They open up the secondary intake at 3200 rpm. If imrc motor fails, your cobra just falls flat on its face around that rpm range. The motor itself from ford comes with both cables that hooks to the runner, and if I remember correctly costs around $200-$250. I did the work myself, and it was a real pain in the ass. The shop quoted $500 in labor, so I sucked it up and spent a weekend in my garage
Yeah, I'm just going to zip tie them open and retune. I hope that helps. It is really tight back there though. Might have to do some macgyver moves.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just a closer to this thread, I finally took a whole day and was able to metal zip tie those imrc plates open (what a freakin nightmare btw) but I retuned and noticed a sufficient increase in power up top. It's not as torquey down low but it's barley noticeable. I thought it would be far worse. These are high winding cars anyway. Good thing I have 3.73 gears...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts