Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I accidentally locked my keys in my 2000 v6 mustang, luckily I had opened the trunk before. Is there a way to fold the rear seats down from inside the trunk? I see a small latch type of thing but it’s pretty much just to pull the seat back not unlock it to fold.

·
Super Moderator
17,800 Posts
Nope, not a way to do it from the inside of the trunk. Gonna have to pull out ont the window with a piece of plastic or something that won't tear up the rubber/glass and then snake a coathanger down to the unlock. Its exactly how a locksmith would do it except they have a little inflatable pump thinger that slides under the glass once they get some space and opens it up a little more.

·
Super Moderator
17,800 Posts
Well... I was assuming he had one key lol. Agreed its always good to have a spare dummy key for getting the doors open even if you only have one working PATS key.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
w/o insulting when you get done with this have extra key in house AND hidden under vehicle.

been there did that
My dad got me in the habit of doing this. Used to get one of those magnetic key holders and stick it to the inside of the bumper, back in the day when you had real metal bumpers....todays cars it's sometimes difficult to find a piece of accessible metal under the bumper to hide one. lol

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
Find a 13 to 15 year old kid in your neighborhood and he will be in your Mustang in
5 seconds.
*****************************OR*****************************************************
Take your registration card and Drivers license to a Ford dealer along with your VIN # and they should be able to make you a key.
But the coat hanger is still the fastest way.
Ronnie

·
Super Moderator
5,239 Posts
I had my lesson when I locked them in the car but fortunately it was directly across street fm a locksmith. He said it'll take 30 seconds and it's $20. (he lied it only took about 15 secs) he then went on to say often he'll putz around for a few minutes so folks don't feel ripped off.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Scotty’s right. These cars are so easy to get into I don’t worry about a spare key. Only done it once in 6 years...on this car 😮

·
Registered
180 Posts
I had a key cut that will open the doors but will not start the car, costs a few bucks at Home Depot or a big box store. I took the rear license plate off and duct taped the key to it's back and put it back on. On my old car, I could use a dime to take the two screws out, had to use it once or twice when I was away from home and locked my keys in the car.

·
Super Moderator
17,800 Posts
Yeah the OEM plate screws at least on a SN95 are made so you can use a coin.

·
Super Moderator
5,239 Posts
the problem with using a dummy key (that won't start) is if you loose original key. I have done the dummy key but then put a real key inside vehicle.

also lost my keys 1x when canoeing (flipped it being stupid) and 1x with a rental when I tossed them in trash at a McD's. It really sucked fishing through McD's trash to get them :(

·
Registered
70 Posts
Right, Strange Mud. I have a dummy taped to a credit card-shaped piece of plastic that I keep in my wallet. Easy to carry, and it's bailed me out (or in!) a couple of times.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Just make sure your door locks are well lubricated and in working order or all the spare keys in the world aren't going to help you out. People tend to use their fobs and never the key hole and don't realize they are frozen until they need them. Houdini spray is an awesome spray lubricant a local locksmith turned me onto.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
Excellent advice
Ronnie

1 - 15 of 15 Posts