Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a search for LoJack on here, and wasn't able to find anything fairly recent.

What do you guys run for theft protection?

I want something similar to LoJack, where you can track the vehicle if its stolen. Is LoJack the best one out there, or is there something better that you guys recommend? How about an aftermarket alarm with tracking capability?

Sorry about the noob question. I just never looked into anything like this before. I have a garage at home, and my parking at work is fairly secure. I live in a good neighborhood, and really 90% of wherever I go and park, its always a good part of town. So I never even gave LoJack much thought.

However, last week, my father's truck and trailer were stolen. He parked in a good part of town, and when he came back to it, it was gone... The cops recovered his trailer the next day about 6 miles away, but still nothing on the truck. That has really got me thinking into doing an aftermarket alarm and LoJack or something similar.

Any pointers what to look into, would be greatly appreciated!

·
Premium Member
5,320 Posts
LoJack is an excellent choice! It's discreet, and it works. My Mom has one on her Lincoln, and its really cool, she has a card and just has to call the number if it gets stolen.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
LoJack is an excellent choice! It's discreet, and it works. My Mom has one on her Lincoln, and its really cool, she has a card and just has to call the number if it gets stolen.
+1

But... Their "guarantee" only promises to replace the cost of the LoJack if your car is jacked and not recovered!! But I did get one when I bought my stang.

Came with an optional pre-alert... Basically, I'll get a text message if my car is moved without a transponder on my keys near my car. So I'll know pretty quick is someone is stealing my girl.

·
Registered
3,745 Posts
Look into hagerty ins. If you had them, you wouldn't want the car found. Full coverage, no depreciation, and no deductable for $414 a year. Only draw back is that it can't be your only vehicle.

·
Registered
157 Posts
How much does that go for? It is monthly or what? I moved to an apartment where my insurance increased 400 a year bc car thefts. I will be bringing my car down next week but nervous it will be stolen and as a result don't feel like modding it for now.

·
Registered
2014 Shelby GT500, SGM, "1 of 1"
907 Posts
Considered LoJack when I bought the Shelby.
Remember reading " # 1 Recovery system ", as in ALREADY STOLEN.
.......What I bought..
www.ravelco.co
The car is disabled without the ( 16 ) male plug.
Can it still be stolen...............yes..................with a flatbed.........
........& it still can't be started..
Costs about the same as LoJack, they come to your house to install it.
.......................Good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Question to those with LoJack or with knowledge of LoJack. I know on their website it says that they work with police, etc... It says that the transponder gives off a 3-5 mile radius signal once activated. Now, for the police to track it, does each cop have to put it in whatever they use to track it, or does it automatically alert them through their tracking device when they are near a LoJack transponder that's giving off a signal? The reason I ask that, is because here in south Florida, there are a TON of different agencies. There has to be at least 40 different agencies in the 3 counties. So it would be really hard if every single agency had to be notified one by one.

I really like the GPS that has been posted, where you can track it yourself in real time. However, I think it might just be easier, if any cop with LoJack equipment can be alerted, and it allows them to do their job without me having to be present with my GPS tracker software.

I also do like the ravelco that's been posted. I like the kill switch on it.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
I will never have a kill switch on my car. Good for if the car gets stolen but absolutely terrifying if it were activated by accident.

Not that a lot of circumstances would come up but I can think of a few times in my life that had the car been remotely killed by accident my life wouldn't be how it is today.

I think OnStar does this too. No thanks.

·
Registered
2014 Shelby GT500, SGM, "1 of 1"
907 Posts
I will never have a kill switch on my car. Good for if the car gets stolen but absolutely terrifying if it were activated by accident.

Not that a lot of circumstances would come up but I can think of a few times in my life that had the car been remotely killed by accident my life wouldn't be how it is today.

I think OnStar does this too. No thanks.
There is no remote anything with this system. It's wired into you car & requires a special plug to start it. If you pull the plug out, the car turns off. NOBODY ELSE HAS THAT PLUG..

·
Registered
721 Posts
If they want your car they will take it lojack or jackoff.... Ive red online about micro EMPs used to steal cars I dont no if its true tho... But it doesnt hurt to protect our babies

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If they want your car they will take it lojack or jackoff.... Ive red online about micro EMPs used to steal cars I dont no if its true tho... But it doesnt hurt to protect our babies
No doubt about it. If they are pro's, they will steal it no matter what.

However, it will stop the amateurs. We had two mobile light towers stolen from my work this past summer. Luckily, one of our security guards, on his way to work, noticed that the truck pulling the light tower, wasn't one of our company vehicles. He called the cops, and because we had LoJack on the light towers, the cops were able to recover both, before the thieves got too far and had a chance to disable the LoJack.

For those that don't have a LoJack or other gps, what kind of aftermarket alarm do you use?

·
Registered
382 Posts

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
IF you don't live anywhere near the border, California, Arizona, New Mexico or Texas, you don't need a LoJack. Unless you have a Mercedes, Ferrari or other top end car, you don't have to worry about stealing your car. Not enough money in hot parts or having it stolen and shipped to another country.

Get a good alarm that sounds off if your car doors are opened and a good motioned detector. Don't leave anything that people can see from walking by your car and looking in the windows. That means any holders for radar or portable GPS detectors should be placed in the trunk or console.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
IF you don't live anywhere near the border, California, Arizona, New Mexico or Texas, you don't need a LoJack. Unless you have a Mercedes, Ferrari or other top end car, you don't have to worry about stealing your car. Not enough money in hot parts or having it stolen and shipped to another country.

Get a good alarm that sounds off if your car doors are opened and a good motioned detector. Don't leave anything that people can see from walking by your car and looking in the windows. That means any holders for radar or portable GPS detectors should be placed in the trunk or console.
I agree to an extent with the first part, but south Florida is also a big market for thieves. Lots of chop shops down here, and lots of sending parts to the Caribbean.

If you saw in my initial post, my father's truck and trailer (was attached to the truck), was stolen about 10 days ago. The cops found the trailer the next day, on the side of a road a few miles away from where it was stolen, but still no signs of the truck.

That is the reason I am looking into LoJack and the likes. We'll be putting it on all our vehicles and equipment.

·
Premium Member
5,320 Posts
I agree to an extent with the first part, but south Florida is also a big market for thieves. Lots of chop shops down here, and lots of sending parts to the Caribbean.

If you saw in my initial post, my father's truck and trailer (was attached to the truck), was stolen about 10 days ago. The cops found the trailer the next day, on the side of a road a few miles away from where it was stolen, but still no signs of the truck.

That is the reason I am looking into LoJack and the likes. We'll be putting it on all our vehicles and equipment.
Yes it is. LoJack seems to be pretty good.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I work for LoJack and company bias aside I have it on my personal vehicle I think it's a great product. However NewMtang is right, it really depends on where you live. Cali, FL, Texas, etc.I would say you are taking a big risk not to have one. Here's the top 10 states here If anyone is interested let me know, I can put you in touch with my guy in sales who *may* be able to get you a discount. my email is jaleman (a) lojack.com

1 - 20 of 25 Posts