Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 122 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know which headers do not require lifting the engine? I was looking at the SW headers but the instructions deterred me from installing them. So, the BBK ceramic, and JBA ceramic longtubes are all options for me. Anyone with knowledge who actually installed or researched this let me know. Thanks

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
2013_stang_gt said:
Anyone know which headers do not require lifting the engine? I was looking at the SW headers but the instructions deterred me from installing them. So, the BBK ceramic, and JBA ceramic longtubes are all options for me. Anyone with knowledge who actually installed or researched this let me know. Thanks
I been doing tons of research and talked to people and nobody said anything about lifting the engine, i know a guy with SW and he did it him self in his drive way. They are all pretty much the same to install. I will be going with SW but jba is about 300$ cheaper and seems to be as good so i might change.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, i hear you but the last thing i want is my car in pieces only to figure out there is this one bolt that involves lifting the engine to get to..

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
HEADERS

I've never heard that either, anything about lifting the Engine. I have BBK Long Tube Headers and BBK X-pipe on mine.:good:

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
I just called my local performance shop and ask them about the lifting the engine thing and they said that they have never ever lifted an engine and they have done almost every brand of headers.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
No quoting here, but I have read that (I believe) the passenger is lifted or moved some for ease of removal of the old and the placement of the new header. To be honest I don't think I have read anywhere that someone didn't have to do this. I could be wrong.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
As far as I know all long tube installs require temporally removing at least the one side motor mount and to do that the engine must be supported by either a hoist or a floor jack. The engine never has to be lifted just supported and maybe jacked up a inch at the most. The header install on the coyote is by means a walk in the park. Especially on the ground. A lift makes it so much easier. 90% of the work is done from below. I've heard some installs we're both mounts have to come off, steering shaft removed, starter removed, and a few other intimidating components. Most shops charge about $300 for the install, IMO it's well worth it. But there in lies the problem, your car will need to be retuned after install so either have a new tune ready or have a shop do it that can tune on a dyno. Good luck to all!

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
As far as I know all long tube installs require temporally removing at least the one side motor mount and to do that the engine must be supported by either a hoist or a floor jack. The engine never has to be lifted just supported and maybe jacked up a inch at the most. The header install on the coyote is by means a walk in the park. Especially on the ground. A lift makes it so much easier. 90% of the work is done from below. I've heard some installs we're both mounts have to come off, steering shaft removed, starter removed, and a few other intimidating components. Most shops charge about $300 for the install, IMO it's well worth it. But there in lies the problem, your car will need to be retuned after install so either have a new tune ready or have a shop do it that can tune on a dyno. Good luck to all!
Yeah that is probably what I have read. It's been a while since I've read a header install. But I know everyone as always said to remove something and lift the engine (or support it)...has to be a PIA regardless.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
I wouldn't do the install in a driveway if someone paid me $300.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thanks guys, mqueen wtf?? lol jk. this is something i definately want to tackle myself. Im ordering the BBK ceramic longtubes and ill keep you guys posted on the install. Thanks

·
The Blue Dragon
5,661 Posts
Beefcake racing just announced that they are carrying stainless works economy brand, stainless power. Save $400 retail for stainless power vs the stainless works. SW has a lifetime warranty and SP has a 2 year warranty and is outsourced... Seriously considering these even though I shouldn't even be looking lol

·
Registered
22 Posts
2013_stang_gt said:
I just installed Bbk on mine last week. I did have to lift engine to install passenger side

1 - 20 of 122 Posts