Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
I know long tubes sound alot deeper and give more hp, whereas shortys give a raspier sound and not as much hp gain. But i've also heard if you put long headers on they swoop so low you cant lower your car at all, but idk if thats true....

·
Registered
10 Posts
Whats your state smog law like? If you wanna keep the car smog legal go with Shortys. But if you don't care go with long tube, sounds better and more HP.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well right now I have boared out cats and I think my current headers leak so I know I can't pass Cali emissions and I need to do that but I'll find ways around it but I do Have a dual exhaust that is fitted to the stock ones how do I get around it

·
Registered
10 Posts
If I were you I would do a complete new exhaust system. If your gonna do long tube headers, just go all new pipes, with and H or X pipe and Flows. Is gonna sound and feel so much better. I'm in the same process right now. I'm just not sure what type of Flowmaster to go with.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Now the real question, MAC? or Pacesetter???

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I already have h pipes and flow master super 44s one on each side they sound great I just need new heads and cats and I was looking at Mac unless the other ones are more money for your buck

·
Registered
10 Posts
That I'm not sure. I took my cats off my last mustang completely. Is a risk, but it sounds great, that's my delima right now.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well the cats arnt a huge issue I'll change them eventually but the headers are leaking and that's no good

·
Registered
17 Posts
youll be cutting and/or welding along the way if you have stock exhaust... better to atleast get an h or x pipe. but by the time youve done all of that, all you need is a catback and your done. might be better to do the whole thing at once unless your gonna have something custom made up.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Not a bad idea but it isn't hard to do it your self but it shouldn't be to exspensive but shop around and get quotes from everyone it will help out with the price

·
Registered
292 Posts
seeing as there is already a thread about this, will long tube headers be a major clearance issue when i lower the mustang eventually?

·
Registered
205 Posts
Ive lowered alot of long tubed stangs, they do get pretty low with the long tubes, for me its long tubes or nothing, hell with the clearance crap, the sound and the power to me is worth the trouble:)

---------- Post added at 02:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:10 PM ----------

PR6R said:
Now the real question, MAC? or Pacesetter???
I've tried different brands of long tubes, the best fit, and install for me were the BBKs since I installed the BBKs it's what I put on every stang I get, and the price is nice too

·
Registered
205 Posts
I deff think so, like the other dude said, shorties have a more raspy sound but to me and my bros it's the the long tubes that sound the best, plus you get a few more ponies, and doesn't it always come down to power? Lmao, but good luck with what ever you use, stangs just sound bad ass with any exhaust!!!

·
Registered
292 Posts
While i hav an exaust expert on this thread is there anyway i'd be able to cat long tubes, i dont care if it requires an X or an H pipe.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thats true. Like dancobra75 said. It does sound way better with longtube headers. And more horses, On my 88 I had long tube with an H pipe and the front was dumped Hella low and it cleared it. Idk what the shop did when they hooked it up but I cleared find. I'm currently going shorty headers with my 89 with an H pipe because if I have issues with smog in the future I wanna make sure I don't spend too much on replacing all that ****. Cali smog law are a pain in the ass.

---------- Post added at 01:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:37 PM ----------

You can add a cat to long tubes, I've seen people do it. But is pointless as far as I know. Either way you won't pass visual on Smog with long tube headers. From what my smog guy said. Another reason why I'm going Shorty BBK

·
Registered
292 Posts
then how do people get away with long tubed headers on their cars? Should i just slip someone who works at the dmv a $100 bill? Haha

1 - 20 of 30 Posts