Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about buying some ramps so I don't have to deal with jacks and stands for oil changes and such. What height should I be looking for and should I be worried about the steepness?
Factory wheels suspension and front.

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
Rhino Ramps are pretty good and cheap

Walmart, Pep Boy's and most places sell Rhino Ramps. They work great but be sure you get a rubber backed carpet to put under them. They do have a problem of slipping if they are just on the concrete garage floor.

I have them and used them for my 98 Corvette which was very low so I had to drive up on two by eight boards to get my front from hitting the ramps before the tires. They worked great for changing the oil.

I have not used them on my Mustang yet but I'm certain I will not have any problems at all.

Ronnie:good:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ronnie948 said:
Walmart, Pep Boy's and most places sell Rhino Ramps. They work great but be sure you get a rubber backed carpet to put under them. They do have a problem of slipping if they are just on the concrete garage floor.

I have them and used them for my 98 Corvette which was very low so I had to drive up on two by eight boards to get my front from hitting the ramps before the tires. They worked great for changing the oil.

I have not used them on my Mustang yet but I'm certain I will not have any problems at all.

Ronnie:good:
Thanks ill check um out.

·
It's not me, it's you.
6,752 Posts
You could build some ramps. Stagger some 2X8's. that's what I need to do. My car is too low for traditional ramps. Hell, I can't even get the stock jack under the car. Lol

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
Hey Primer2tone

My 1998 Corvette was very low and would hit the Rhino Ramps.

Easy safe fix was just to go to Lowes and buy a 2 X 8 and cut it into the length I needed for two pieces.

Drove the vette onto the 2 X 8's--- Put the Rhino's against the boards and the two inches were just enough to have the front end clear so my Vette would not scrape on the Ramps.

I went to a carpet store and they actually gave me a nice piece of carpet with a rubber backing that I put under the ramps to avoid them sliding on my smooth concrete garage floor.

My opinion is this:: If I'm getting under a car I think I would prefer the Rhino Ramps and not a bunch of wood piled up. I also block the wheels on the ground to avoid any rolling. ( Overkill,I know) but safty first. A set of Rhino Ramps are only about $25.00 or so.

Ronnie

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yep ended up needing some boards to get up the ramps. It was really close though, maybe a half inch higher bumper and it would have been fine.

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
The boards work fine

:good:

Once you get the hang of using them it gets second nature.

Ronnie

·
Registered
136 Posts
Gk1million said:
Yep ended up needing some boards to get up the ramps. It was really close though, maybe a half inch higher bumper and it would have been fine.
Anybody recommend ramps if I don't have a garage. Just a parking space outside? Lol no one parks in the spot next to me because they aren't there half the yeAr so ill have space lol just wanna work only car. What r ur thoughts?

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Find a new girlfriend that has a garage.

·
Registered
4,019 Posts

·
Registered
809 Posts
I bought some metal one's that are powder coated today from harbor freight for 40 bucks, they work like they are supposed to, didn't slide or anything like that. they will work for now, not sure about once i nam lowered though. they had one of the "low profile" jacks at harbor freight for around $100 that looked solid, I might go back and pick it hp at some point.

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
Hi rebiltx

When you lower your car and if any part of the car hits the ramps all you need to do is get a couple of 2X8 boards to drive the front wheels on and then on to the ramps. Problam solved.

Those are some nice sturdy looking ramps you bought.

Ronnie

1 - 12 of 12 Posts