Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My current family hauler (2009 Jeep Liberty 4x4 Sport) is having some issues that I've hit a point I need to consider a truck/SUV. Finances are good and I am mechanically inclined, my issue is time with work, family and a house along with two other vehicles (2014 FBO 3.7/6spd mustang, 2013 Corolla) so having to constantly tweak or worry about the Jeep is a problem, especially as its our main family vehicle.

Looking at crew cab full-size 4x4 trucks from the big three (ford, GM, and dodge) and I am having a hard time where to look and how to look as it seems financing and leasing trucks is all over the place. I'm looking at full-size because I want room and based on what I read, I don't fit into smaller trucks (6'5") like a Tacoma.

What would you recommend for someone that is trying to lease because I have 3 vehicles to spread out an average of 15k a year across already and don't really want to commit long-term to a truck because family needs could change? Ideally a 250-450/month payment or less would be preferred or walking out in the $40k range or less.

The nicest things I would like would be 4 doors, nice comfortable ride, 4x4, heated seats, a touchscreen radio with navigation/backup cam, and HID/LED head lights and fog lights and that's it. Even if the radio didn't have navigation but a way to load apps, that would be sufficient as well. Don't care about towing at this point, just simple utility for housework and safety for the family, should have decent power but don't want it to be faster than my 3.7 mustang.

I've also considered a 4Runner but Toyota doesn't lease 4 runners well at the moment and the Tacoma apparently is too small for 6 5" people (me) as I've been told.

·
Registered
8,519 Posts
Go drive a F150.
Since you are considering a lease, it really doesn't matter which engine that you choose, but for long-term ownership beyond the warranty period, I would recommend only purchasing a Coyote-powered truck.
I'm not sure if $40k will be enough to get the truck that you describe though....

·
Premium Member
6,886 Posts
GM has my vote.

Pick your poison.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Ram is nicest looking but Ford is the best. A lease is just renting the vehicle so it doesn't matter what you choose :)

Reactions: jkeaton

·
Lorraine's driver
8,195 Posts
I've always liked (and owned) Ford trucks over the years. I had a 87 Jeep Comanche I bought used. It was a little beaten but durable and reliable. I've had an 89 and 90 (bought new) Ranger regular and extended cab respectively. I bought a 2001 S-10 extended cab new. The only issue I had with the S-10 was the stupid extended cab side door. That was kinda early in the side door opening era and it always had alignment issues. I bought a 93 1500 R/T and it was a lemon. It had some transmission electrical problem that they wouldn't replace the tranny in, so I ended up giving it back.

All that being said, I'd look at Toyota first, then Ford.

·
Registered
8,519 Posts
Have you guys seen any of the reviews for the new Ford 7.3 gas engine?

The Fast lane Truck ran it up the "Ike" (I-70) with a 16,000 lb trailer in tow, and the damned thing pulls like a freight train!
It beat the best Chevrolet gas offering in the 3/4 ton class by 3 minutes over the 8 mile stretch that they test on.... 3 minutes! Lol

The big-block is back!
And just like the old 460, the 7.3 will pass by everything except for a gas station.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I would start by going to the dealers and looking what the have to offer. I would also check out the mid size trucks too. I have an 01 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab, if i slide the drivers seat all the way back i can't even reach the pedals, i am 6ft. You may find you fit just fine in a mid size.

Ram has two different size Quad Cabs, i believe the larger one is called Mega Cab, it supposedly has the most rear seat leg room but you give up a foot of bed length. This may give you the leg room you need with enough space left for some one to sit behind you.

Dave

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
A little late to the party but is your 6'5" I am thinking the Chevy and Ram will be a neck bender since I have had both when my Ford F150 was in the body shop. The Gen 2 Tundra is worce and so far the only one that I don't have to bend over to get in is the F150. Mine is a 12th Generation but the cab height was supposed to be close.
Now without doing a lot of calculations and going by Fords numbers for my area your $40,000 trucks lease payment is going to be north of $500 a month. The Ram might come in a bit cheaper depending on options.

·
Registered
10 Posts
My family has a 2017 Ford F-150 XLT that we use for off-road and other outdoor activities such as camping. We didn't regret having one, especially when we got mud-terrain tires installed to it. We're satisfied with its sheer power and performance.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts