Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to get a short shifter for my mustang and was wondering what if any of you thought about this?

Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter T5 / T-45 555-7353 - Free Shipping!

I'm looking for something that has a much shorter shift for a 1999 ford mustang Gt.

If you have any experience with another shifter and you liked it please feel free to leave your review and a link to where I can purchase one. Thank you all and stay awesome.

·
Registered
559 Posts
I'm looking to get a short shifter for my mustang and was wondering what if any of you thought about this?

Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter T5 / T-45 555-7353 - Free Shipping!

I'm looking for something that has a much shorter shift for a 1999 ford mustang Gt.

If you have any experience with another shifter and you liked it please feel free to leave your review and a link to where I can purchase one. Thank you all and stay awesome.
I have the steeda tri ax and it feels 10 times better than the stock. It has two heights you can set it to for your preference, you'd pretty much have to try to miss a gear, it feels very precise and mechanical.

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
I got the pro 5.0 short throw I like it. But all I see is people with MGW

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Mgw bro its so sick I just got mine installed about 3 days ago check it out!!!
Your handle is not mounted on the shift lever properly, it is only 1/2 way down and will not clamp as tightly as it should. It looks as though the boot is bunched up under the handle, not allowing it to seat fully on the shift lever:

The big Allen cap screw should be above the handle bore, and the top of the shift lever flush with the top of the handle bore as shown below:

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
About to buy the mgw myself. What do i need? Just the shifter? Anything else?
I recommend the MGW inner boot ($8) and a Cobra Bob silicone rubber gasket ($10).

You can use RTV sealant instead of the gasket, however the gasket is reusable (many many times), it also makes it a lot easier getting the shifter off for loading tranny fluid or if you ever need to pull the tranny...

·
Registered
108 Posts
I recommend the MGW inner boot ($8) and a Cobra Bob silicone rubber gasket ($10).
MGW inner boot yes, cobra bob silicon rubber gasket no. In many cases, including my own, the gasket does not line up exactly and you will have fitment and sealant issues. Also if you use synthetic transmission oil such as Royal Purple it actually has a tendency to deleteriously effect the gasket (also per experience and a subsequently leaky transmission). Just go with the RTV silicon. Yes it is a bit more of a pain but will save you a headache in the long run.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
MGW inner boot yes, cobra bob silicon rubber gasket no. In many cases, including my own, the gasket does not line up exactly and you will have fitment and sealant issues. Also if you use synthetic transmission oil such as Royal Purple it actually has a tendency to deleteriously effect the gasket (also per experience and a subsequently leaky transmission). Just go with the RTV silicon. Yes it is a bit more of a pain but will save you a headache in the long run.
I have had no problems of any sort with the CB gasket--in very nearly six years and 120k miles--running RP Syncromax, then Mobil 1. The shifter has been out and reinstalled 3 or 4 times in that period.

Maybe something has changed since I bought mine back in January of '07?

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
I've said it before and I'll say it every time this subject is brought up. I've driven cars with steeda, and pro 5.0 though I've never owned them...MGW has felt the best to me. I've gottenany many compliments from people driving my car and some people couldn't find the gears because the throws are so short (the way mine is when in reverse it looks like it is in stock shifters 2nd position). I absolutely love it and will never buy another shifter for any mustang I own. Hands down best shifter in my opinion.

I believe I chimed in on RUNNWLD's post about this subject...

---------- Post added at 11:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:38 PM ----------

Installed? It is four bolts and some rubber gasket sealant. Easy 20 min. job.
There are 8 bolts (4 in shield 4 in shifter) and it takes a little more than 20 min if you have never done it before. And if anything like mine those shield bolts are hard to get out...and hard on the knuckles in that tight area...

---------- Post added at 11:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:40 PM ----------

Mgw bro its so sick I just got mine installed about 3 days ago check it out!!!
Looks good but cliff is right...

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I've said it before and I'll say it every time this subject is brought up. I've driven cars with steeda, and pro 5.0 though I've never owned them...MGW has felt the best to me. I've gottenany many compliments from people driving my car and some people couldn't find the gears because the throws are so short (the way mine is when in reverse it looks like it is in stock shifters 2nd position). I absolutely love it and will never buy another shifter for any mustang I own. Hands down best shifter in my opinion.
^+1000 or so

It is the only one that is a complete redesign, the others are just reconfigured and better made clones of the OEM pressed-steel monkey motion thing.

More about short-throw shifters here...

·
Registered
809 Posts
It is a pioneer avh 3200 is the new one. I got mine the year before they made the new one with bluetooth or something but mine is pioneer avh2350 it's the easiest to use and best nicest fit one I think for a mustang!!!

·
Registered
1,876 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
There are 8 bolts (4 in shield 4 in shifter) and it takes a little more than 20 min if you have never done it before.
I've done it many times and you're right, I was not counting the 4 shield bolts. And as for the knuckle issue; nothing a socket extension can't fix :)

1 - 20 of 45 Posts