Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I currently own a 2012 grabber blue v6 and I'm looking into buying a bone stock, 04 GT w 24,000 on the clock. Dealership is Asking 12k, would trade my car in obviously, hoping to get 10-15 for mine as it only has 22k and is in mint condition. Just curious to hear your guys opinions on whether or not this would be an upgrade worth considering or not. I'd appreciate the most honest, least boast opinions, I know it may be hard since I'm asking about a car many of you guys own. Thanks!

2012 Grabber Blue v6
3.73 gears
SR lowering springs
SR Panhard bar
73mm throttle body

---------- Post added at 09:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:23 AM ----------

And by boast, I mean biased. Lol

2012 Grabber Blue v6
3.73 gears
SR lowering springs
SR Panhard bar
73mm throttle body

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Why would you trade your car, which is nicer, faster, better handling, more fuel efficient, and worth more.. for an older car that is over-priced (should be around $8,500 - $9,000 at most) a good bit slower, not as well built, handles worse, gets crap fuel mileage for the power it makes, has very little potential from bolt ons and with any amount of mileage will plummet in resale value??

Another thing to factor in is if you currently owe on your car. If you do, odds are that you will be upside down if you accept their offer and interest rates on older cars are significantly higher than on newer models.

As for your trade in, unless they already offered you a price be prepared to get kicked between the legs. When I was looking to trade off my 2014 3.7, MT82, Premium, MCA with glass roof and less than 20,000 miles and mint condition, the best offer I got from a dealership was $11,000. My car booked for $22,000 at the time. Nobody wants used Mustangs sitting on their lot in the winter (seeing your from Illinois), especially V6 Mustangs.

There is no way I would even consider it. The decision in the end ... is up to you.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
12k is too high.
Not over $10k.
if you want it, tho,
I would keep your new one, or sell it privately.
That's NOT an "upgrade," you will be spending $ on repairs when it get older...
keep your car & spend the money on upgrades,
or, spend the money & trade your car for a new one

·
Premium Member
5,240 Posts
I agree with Ish....I'm not convinced it's an upgrade and you never get what you want for trade in

well almost never I did 1x but the sales manager on that one was a friend of my boss and I was given a favor. have you driven it yet? that and real numbers will help the decision.

·
Admin
5,822 Posts
I'm betting that the dealer that has that '04 you want is not going to give you 10 to 12K on your 2012; not that it's perhaps not worth that, but because the dealer would not make a good enough profit on the '04.

If you were buying new, then you'd have a better chance of getting your asking trade in price, but you are trading used for used.

And, has the airbag recall been done on your current Mustang? most dealerships don't want to touch one as a trade in unless it's been done. Seems buyers of these year Mustangs don't want to buy one that's still due for its airbag recall replacement.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Not an upgrade one bit. You would be getting a V8 but that V8 makes less power than your V6. Keep your 12.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Mustang Evolution mobile app

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I know it's not an upgrade, I mean any time you go from a newer car to an older car it's not really an upgrade. I meant upgrade as in, sure it's not faster, but parts from AM are a hell of a lot cheaper for an 04 than a 12. Insurance price is a factor too, I pay 225 for full coverage every month, I owe 4500 on the car

2012 Grabber Blue v6
3.73 gears
SR lowering springs
SR Panhard bar
73mm throttle body

·
Admin
5,822 Posts
It's all in what you want. In the end, you are paying for it, you are driving it.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
I know it's not an upgrade, I mean any time you go from a newer car to an older car it's not really an upgrade. I meant upgrade as in, sure it's not faster, but parts from AM are a hell of a lot cheaper for an 04 than a 12. Insurance price is a factor too, I pay 225 for full coverage every month, I owe 4500 on the car

2012 Grabber Blue v6
3.73 gears
SR lowering springs
SR Panhard bar
73mm throttle body
You will have a ton of money invested in an 04 GT to equal what you already have. A full bolt on 4.6 2V still makes less power at the wheels than your 3.7 did, stock.

If you owe $4500 on your 2012, keep it another year or whatever and pay it off, then mod the hell out of it or pick up a project car. It will be cheaper in the long run than buying a way overpriced older car that as soon as you put any miles on it will significantly decrease it's resale value.

Something else you might consider, is refinancing the loan for your 2012. You could likely get it down to a 36 month term and your payments would likely be around $135 - $160 depending on your credit and interest rate. That payment and your insurance would likely be cheaper than just the payment on that overpriced 04.

I'm curious, have you test drove this 04 GT?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You will have a ton of money invested in an 04 GT to equal what you already have. A full bolt on 4.6 2V still makes less power at the wheels than your 3.7 did, stock.

If you owe $4500 on your 2012, keep it another year or whatever and pay it off, then mod the hell out of it or pick up a project car. It will be cheaper in the long run than buying a way overpriced older car that as soon as you put any miles on it will significantly decrease it's resale value.

Something else you might consider, is refinancing the loan for your 2012. You could likely get it down to a 36 month term and your payments would likely be around $135 - $160 depending on your credit and interest rate. That payment and your insurance would likely be cheaper than just the payment on that overpriced 04.

I'm curious, have you test drove this 04 GT?

I haven't test driven it no, I used to own an 03 GT and I just miss it. Driving in a newer, flashier, auto/v6 doesn't feel right to me haha. Now if I were to swap the trans and go through that whole nightmare just to have a manual in this car, I probably wouldn't sell it. But it just feels so dull as it is.

2012 Grabber Blue v6
3.73 gears
SR lowering springs
SR Panhard bar
73mm throttle body

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
I haven't test driven it no, I used to own an 03 GT and I just miss it. Driving in a newer, flashier, auto/v6 doesn't feel right to me haha. Now if I were to swap the trans and go through that whole nightmare just to have a manual in this car, I probably wouldn't sell it. But it just feels so dull as it is.

2012 Grabber Blue v6
3.73 gears
SR lowering springs
SR Panhard bar
73mm throttle body
Your car have a tune? If not, get in touch with MPT and get tuned. The difference between a stock auto and tuned auto in the newer Mustangs is actually pretty impressive.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Your car have a tune? If not, get in touch with MPT and get tuned. The difference between a stock auto and tuned auto in the newer Mustangs is actually pretty impressive.

Yep, MPT tuned. It's not that I dislike it, just with the few small mods I've got (intake, exhaust, tune, some small suspension mods) it still feels kind of dull. Feel like having a manual trans would help tie it all together, then I'd start dumping money into it. Lol

2012 Grabber Blue v6
3.73 gears
SR lowering springs
SR Panhard bar
73mm throttle body

·
Registered
255 Posts
That's a good idea yeah. I agree with everyone else you are trading for way less car going to a newedge. Why did you get an auto if you knew it would be "dull"?

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

·
Registered
484 Posts
Why Don t you sell the v6 and just find a new edge on Craig's with a few more miles but in good condition. You can probably find one for 6000 to 7k.

·
Premium Member
5,411 Posts
It sounds like you've got yourself convinced that your current car is no bueno and that you have to have a new edge v8. I would say it is a lose situation if you bought the 04 you mentioned. Yes it has low miles but it's still a 13 year old car that is slower, less refined, way less technologically advanced than your v6.

I would wait a year or however long it takes to pay off your v6, ($4500 shouldn't take long if you financed wisely) and pick up a new edge v8 as a project car/weekend car. They can be picked up at auctions or privately in good condition for real cheap.

If your 2012 is your daily driver then you will hate the 04 as one. You said you had an 03 so you know what they are like. I like my new edge cars but would take my 2012 over either of them as a daily any day of the week.

·
Premium Member
5,411 Posts
Why don't you try leasing, & you can get a new one every few years?
I think he wants a 99-04 v8 car, though a 5.0 S550 would make him forget the new edge cars ever existed lol

·
Premium Member
6,965 Posts
An upgrade worth considering? Not. A. Chance.
It won't be an upgrade.

Pick your poison.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts