Mustang Evolution Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 197 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, I've been watching lots of YouTube vids on exhaust and I forgot about muffler deleting, since I don't have the money for exhaust and won't have it for a while, would it be smart to cut my stock mufflers off for now till I get my pypes axle backs, or run it stock which I can't handle for too long, lol I have to have some kind of sound or something? help, thx, V6 POWER!!

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I just went outside and looked at my stock muffler, and there's a bolt that holds the muffler and I'm guessing if I remove that then it's considered muffler delete, thus making the car louder. I think lol

·
Registered
66 Posts
I think your tailpipe would then be under your car which isn't ideal it would make it louder but you would essentially be pumping exhaust fumes righ t under your car. Carbon Monoxide risk? Idk. Never done it.

---------- Post added at 11:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:10 AM ----------

And it may through a engine code

·
Registered
529 Posts
You can take your mufflers off. Mufflers don't have any relation to emissions. You will have a much louder exhaust and no tail pipes to be seen. If its only 1 bolt off, then it's only 1 bolt back on if you don't like it.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hhmmmm, I tried to see if it was illegal in my state, Texas. I think it is, but not sure. I took apart my pipe that the clamp is holding (the muffler and main pipe) and I'm not sure if I tighten it right because my car sounds a little louder, like there's a little bit of sound coming from it. but will that effect the car in a negative way?

·
Dragon Tail Master
1,336 Posts
your pipes will be banging around.
The Mufflers are the only thing holding the exhaust up, the only other place it is attached to the car is the exhaust Manifolds.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Hhmmmm, I tried to see if it was illegal in my state, Texas. I think it is, but not sure. I took apart my pipe that the clamp is holding (the muffler and main pipe) and I'm not sure if I tighten it right because my car sounds a little louder, like there's a little bit of sound coming from it. but will that effect the car in a negative way?
IMHO you will sacrifice low end torque. You need free flowing mufflers with the proper back pressure.

·
Registered
620 Posts
I've taken off my mufflers and let them hang till I had enough money to buy mufflers.

1. Yes they will rattle on your rear end. I used a hose clamp to lift it up to keep them from rattling.

2. No you won't lose power. I actually felt a gain in power from taken them off.

3. It's not illegal i live in Texas also.

And also yes it's cheaper and easier to go to a muffler shop and have something welded in. But it just looks nicer to have something you can take on and off.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
alright guys, little update. just fixed my noise coming from my exhaust and they sound back to stock again. :) I just loosened it up and aligned it and started it, and it's back to normal.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
You won't want to drive it without a tail pipe anyway. The exhaust will reverb off the ground and back into the cabin. You'll have a headache every time you drive the car.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I've taken off my mufflers and let them hang till I had enough money to buy mufflers.

1. Yes they will rattle on your rear end. I used a hose clamp to lift it up to keep them from rattling.

2. No you won't lose power. I actually felt a gain in power from taken them off.

3. It's not illegal i live in Texas also.

And also yes it's cheaper and easier to go to a muffler shop and have something welded in. But it just looks nicer to have something you can take on and off.
Wait....there's laws in Texas? Haha

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I've read on other forums that they are illegal and some saying the opposite. idk what to do until I see type/written proof or hear it from a cop myself or something. lol

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
You won't want to drive it without a tail pipe anyway. The exhaust will reverb off the ground and back into the cabin. You'll have a headache every time you drive the car.
+1. Not a fun 2 hour road trip I must say

---------- Post added at 08:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:09 PM ----------

I've read on other forums that they are illegal and some saying the opposite. idk what to do until I see type/written proof or hear it from a cop myself or something. lol
The things on mustangs is that if you get caught its illegal. Like here in Alabama we just have to have a muffler of some sort. Hell, a paper towel roll with paper in it will suffice. Just to give you an idea.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I don't know if this would work! But maybe drill some holes in your mufflers to make them louder. Then if u don't like it reseal them with Jb weld. Or maybe this is a stupid idea!

1 - 20 of 197 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.