Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How is one supposed to lower these cars. The lowering springs i have found range from a 1" to a 2" drop in the rear but if I lower my car that much it will be bottoming out on the bump stops.

·
Premium Member
5,411 Posts
This article gives you a good idea on how the springs are installed.

Installing Mustang Lowering Springs

Most lowering springs lower the car 1" to 2". The average drop is around 1.5" The car won't bottom out after being lowered this much, but you should still be careful around inclines, speed bumps and driveways. Leaving the isolators in will keep the rear higher.

I'm sure someone with a lowered 05+ will chime in.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I measured the spacing and it's only about an inch and I actually need to get longer bump stops bc my tires are a little wider than the fenders and the tires already rub on them when it bottoms out

·
Premium Member
26,052 Posts
for 05+ cars its the same idea but the fronts are coil over the the procedure is a little different. The most important part is deciding on springs. My friend went with Eibach Pro kit they gave it a good drop and the ride isnt much worse than stock (a touch more bouncy on the highway but not bad)

Your tires (unless you added a huge spacer) should not hit the fenders if they are the stock wheels. What do you mean by hitting them.

Also keep in mind alignment has to be done~ and you will need something to allow this if you go much lower than stock.

·
Premium Member
479 Posts
I have Eibach Kit on mine and it is lowered 1.5. I do have to watch going over some bumps and 45 some inclines but the rides is still good. I know one guy that lowered his 2 in.

·
Premium Member
26,052 Posts
yea, but if you dont lower it enough where you have to worry about bumps and such scraping then... you didnt lower it enough :)

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No I don't have the stock wheels and the new ones stick out about 1/2 inch from the fenders and when I bottom it out on some of our extremely rough roads the tires rub on the fenders to the extent that I have a new tread line. The fronts aren't an issue as they camber in when compressed

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'll take some pics to show exactly what I'm talking about in a couple hours

·
Premium Member
26,052 Posts
I thought you had the stock rims going by your signature pictures (at least I thought they were the stock ones). Ive not seen taller bump stops just shorter ones for the rear. I my self have the same issue you have, mine are to far out for as low as I am. Being I have an IRS rear they tuck in but just not quite enough (very nearly so though)

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yeah thats an old pic from when i first got the car

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
the bumper is from ait racing its the stallion 1 design there are 3 of them now but i cut out the original grille that came in it and made a billet one to go in. i wasn't going to go that big on the rims but i got a good deal on them. and standing out is my goal i hope to soon be able to paint it a dark metallic red

·
Registered
215 Posts
thats the biggest wheels i have ever seen on a stang

·
Registered
706 Posts
:mad: Dangit! Can't get to cardomain-blocked here at work..

·
Registered
16 Posts
My 05 GT is down about 1.5" and occasionaly I will drag the exhaust at the x-Pipe clamps on a big speed bump but that's about it.

If you lower your car as much as I did, you will also need to add an adjustable panhard bar to realign the rear end housing, and it is a good idea to check your pinion angle after lowering too. I found my front end was out so I had to add caster camber plates to correct the "top in" condition my car had.

Just a few things to consider...

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I guess my main concern is that when my rear suspension is fully compressed and it bottoms out on the bump stops my rear tires rub on the edge of my fenders. Easy fix longer bumpstops but I want to lower my car about an inch or so but the distance from the top of the bumpstop to the frame is just over an inch so my thinking is that if I get the longer bumpstops and lower the car it will be resting on the bumpstops all the time ie no suspension travel. Witha that said if I lower it without the longer bumpstops it will be more prone to bottoming out the suspension and rubbing the tires on the fenders. Anyone have any ideas onhow to solve this problem

·
Premium Member
26,052 Posts
you will hit the fenders~ its just a matter of time since your tires stick out to far. If you want to lower it and keep that from happening the only way to do it and do it right is to get different rims :( might not be the answer you want but it is the only answer I have that wont cost you a ton more than just new rims.

(shortening the axle, possibly removing mounting wheel surface material if you can both tuck the wheel in, bump stops might fix damage but will mess you up driving as they will hit regularly if you drop a decent amount)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts