Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Random question. Has anyone experienced MPG increase with lowering kits/body kits. I figured it wouldn't do much of anything but I am curious and don't have wind tunnel at my disposal.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,311 Posts
lets just say i've never noticed a gain with anything lowered i've owned in both cars and trucks (slammed ftw).

i would guess if a person saw 99% interstate driving it might help
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,782 Posts
There is an optimum level. When you lower, one does reduce drag, but too much will ruin the flow under the vehicle.

It is pretty complicated for me to understand, but one wants to lower the flow so it is a minimum amount of attached flow, but too low will not let it attach. All thing equal, lowering by 1-3 inches should help fuel efficiency. Anymore might be worse. If you race, doing fuel efficiency mods helps, too. I lowered my coefficient of drag down to the .31 range from factory .36. The easier you move through the air, the faster one goes, with less fuel.

Checkout ecomodder.com for more info, a lot of smart people have discussed this.

---------- Post added at 11:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:04 PM ----------

UltArc said:
There is an optimum level. When you lower, one does reduce drag, but too much will ruin the flow under the vehicle.

It is pretty complicated for me to understand, but one wants to lower the flow so it is a minimum amount of attached flow, but too low will not let it attach. All thing equal, lowering by 1-3 inches should help fuel efficiency. Anymore might be worse. If you race, doing fuel efficiency mods helps, too. I lowered my coefficient of drag down to the .31 range from factory .36. The easier you move through the air, the faster one goes, with less fuel.

Checkout ecomodder.com for more info, a lot of smart people have discussed this.
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthre...imal-explanation-solutions-offered-23159.html
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cool that is worth lookin into. I have always wondered if investing in lowering your drag coefficient is a big of deal as engine performance.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,782 Posts
Kingmidas87 said:
Cool that is worth lookin into. I have always wondered if investing in lowering your drag coefficient is a big of deal as engine performance.
In a quarter mile, a little. A track, quite a bit, and it helps your ponies and fuel go further everywhere inbetween. Some people think it is lame, but if one has to think of it another way.

If your coefficient is .4, it is like driving through soup.
.3 is like a mist,
.2 is like floating without anything.

When I had my front end switched, .38 to .31, I could feel the difference. Since it cuts through air better, it helps acceleration and maintaining speed. I did it for FE, but it is the easiest and cheapest performance upgrade one can do.

---------- Post added at 10:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:37 PM ----------

UltArc said:
In a quarter mile, a little. A track, quite a bit, and it helps your ponies and fuel go further everywhere inbetween. Some people think it is lame, but if one has to think of it another way.

If your coefficient is .4, it is like driving through soup.
.3 is like a mist,
.2 is like floating without anything.

When I had my front end switched, .38 to .31, I could feel the difference. Since it cuts through air better, it helps acceleration and maintaining speed. I did it for FE, but it is the easiest and cheapest performance upgrade one can do.
Whoops, the GT is stock .36 I believe, .38 should be the v6. I am v6 with Roush front fascia, front splitter, lower partial grill block, and side splitters.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,782 Posts
Kingmidas87 said:
So pushing the air down mean more drag. What would be the best bumper?
I would contact the manufacturer and ask. Adding something like a front splitter, seen on the Boss, and after market on many vehicles can really help. Keep in mind, just like hp, one small aero improvement might not be noticed, while a lot is easier to. I will post a link to a guy who has done crazy stuff to make his car extremely aero dynamic. I would never go this far out on my Stang, but it might give you guys some ideas.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,782 Posts
UltArc said:
I would contact the manufacturer and ask. Adding something like a front splitter, seen on the Boss, and after market on many vehicles can really help. Keep in mind, just like hp, one small aero improvement might not be noticed, while a lot is easier to. I will post a link to a guy who has done crazy stuff to make his car extremely aero dynamic. I would never go this far out on my Stang, but it might give you guys some ideas.
"This car coasts so well that when I switch from driving this car to a "normal" car, it feels as if I am driving on a road covered with molasses, and that, like a powerboat, you have to keep pouring on the power to maintain headway. By contrast, with this car on a level road it only takes a light touch on the accelerator to maintain speed and it takes only the slightests of downhills to maintain speed in a coast. Even a Prius now feels "draggy" at highway speeds compared to this car.

Needless to say, the car gets plenty of strange looks out on the highway and one of my biggest problem while driving out on the highway are the rubberneckers cueing up to stare and take pictures."

Www.aerocivic.com

Now please keep in mind, especially the fuel economy haters, that this is a super example of what 400 dollars can do. 50 mpg at 90 mph, I think is what it said. There are a few Mustangs on ecomodder, and a lot of passive tips for dropping drag and improving performance and FE. A CTS-V on there is getting 27.4. A Mustang v6 2005-2009 has gotten to 30. And quite a few people like me do mods that do NOT affect visuals, or they help. Lots of people make grill blocks that look stock or are hidden, air dams can look good or be hidden, underbellies are fantastic, small tire spats, so on. If you guys have questions, feel free to join up and ask.

If you do not want to ask, feel fee to post it up here. I am no expert in anyway, but could make a slightly educated guess. And Although one has a valid point about drag being increased, often increasing drag can in a way help. My front splitter is made to increase drag, by catching air and pulling down the front pumper and front end, BUT, it stops air from going underneath the car-the least aerodynamic friendly place. My flat underbelly goes on this winter or the coming spring- whenever I have time. This summer, 2013, I want a 40+ mpg tank.


http://www.americanmuscle.com/cobrar-bumper-9904.html

This guy looks good. I would only suggest it if you could block the big opening in the bottom. It looks like a super model who keeps her mouth open, to seem weak and helpless. As long as your temp gauge works, make a moveable air dam with some epoxy or foam, and paint it with the car. You should cut through the air pretty well, with that. Same concept as mine, splitter will push air up, stopping it from going underneath. Please note, this is how it looks to me, before buy/install, I would contact the manufacturer, check out any info on it from the years it was out on Cd, and see if by chance any drivers have already done this testing for you already.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top