Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
26,052 Posts
if you want to maintain ride quality you will want to avoid super stiff springs. Eibach makes a softer rate spring near stock, your stock rate should be 400-450ish.

A progressive spring is a softer ride but when the spring gets pushed down the more its pushed down the harder it pushes back (that means the rate gets stiffer)

usually these ride better overall, but look into eibach and find their rates.

You will want at least 1.5" drop all around to notice a difference. You will need CC plates
for alignment and I recommend doing it right and going with the 4 bolt maximum motorsport plates. You can install all this on your own with a friends help as well, not a bad way to go (there is a how to I wrote in the article section)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
490 Posts
SpectorV said:
if you want to maintain ride quality you will want to avoid super stiff springs. Eibach makes a softer rate spring near stock, your stock rate should be 400-450ish.

A progressive spring is a softer ride but when the spring gets pushed down the more its pushed down the harder it pushes back (that means the rate gets stiffer)

usually these ride better overall, but look into eibach and find their rates.

You will want at least 1.5" drop all around to notice a difference. You will need CC plates
for alignment and I recommend doing it right and going with the 4 bolt maximum motorsport plates. You can install all this on your own with a friends help as well, not a bad way to go (there is a how to I wrote in the article section)
+1
The CC plates are a must. I didn't get them after I lowered my car for 6 months and my tires were ruined. Maximum motorsports are the way to go
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
26,052 Posts
if the shocks are in good shape and the spring rate is close to stock the OEM ones will be fine, but if you want new ones just get some nice OEM style ones. Since you dont care about handling but ride quality they will be fine.
 

·
AmericanMuscle.com
Joined
·
2,878 Posts
These guys have definitely pointed you in the right direction! Springs, Shocks/Struts and CC plates is the ultimate suspension set up for daily driving and drive ability.

Check out our Suspension page and let me know if I can be of any assistance!

-Dan
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,013 Posts
Slow2V said:
I think hed rather not bounce around like a honda lol
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
598 Posts
Sonicblue11 said:
I'm on H&R supersport with tokico shocks and struts, they feel all around stuff as hell and great ride quality
No cc's or camber bolts?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,311 Posts
agreed this is a great way to get a good lowered stance and still have a great spring for weight transfer.

I think hed rather not bounce around like a honda lol
I'm guessing you've never cut a set of mustang springs? If you know what you are doing when cutting one and doing it correctly your finished product is a lowered car that will hook nicely thanks to great weight transfer. In fact some of the fastest mustangs i know love either a cut spring or some 4 cyl fox springs cut.

The trick is using a cutting wheel thats made to cut metal..so either an all metal or bi-metal cutting wheel is a must. Never use a torch...heating a spring to cut through it will kill it's temper and make the coils worthless (i.e. dead).

@OP In the end it depends on what you want to do with the car in the end. a drag car is going to be set up way different from a corner carver. There are happy mediums however those mediums never make you awesome in either one. So think it over before you start making purchases.


here's an example...cut 1.25 coils off the front and 1 coil off the back. No ISOs

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,013 Posts
1slosix said:
agreed this is a great way to get a good lowered stance and still have a great spring for weight transfer.

I'm guessing you've never cut a set of mustang springs? If you know what you are doing when cutting one and doing it correctly your finished product is a lowered car that will hook nicely thanks to great weight transfer. In fact some of the fastest mustangs i know love either a cut spring or some 4 cyl fox springs cut.

The trick is using a cutting wheel thats made to cut metal..so either an all metal or bi-metal cutting wheel is a must. Never use a torch...heating a spring to cut through it will kill it's temper and make the coils worthless (i.e. dead).

@OP In the end it depends on what you want to do with the car in the end. a drag car is going to be set up way different from a corner carver. There are happy mediums however those mediums never make you awesome in either one. So think it over before you start making purchases.

here's an example...cut 1.25 coils off the front and 1 coil off the back. No ISOs
U are correct good sir i have never cut springs on a mustang. I just dont like the idea of probably compromising the structure of a spring so i usually just change them to something id be satisfied with withing the prospective specs for dampening and spring rate. I guess im just paranoid if u call it that
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
327 Posts
I recently replaced my front struts with stock replacements (in the last 2 months cuz I bent em) but I want to get lowering springs. Do I have to replace them again to work with my springs?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
598 Posts
ToHellAndBack said:
I recently replaced my front struts with stock replacements (in the last 2 months cuz I bent em) but I want to get lowering springs. Do I have to replace them again to work with my springs?
You should be good unless you're planning to take your car to the track. Then look to upgrade struts. You haven't had them long so you'll be alright. Might wanna look into shocks tho
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
What springs can I use to get the lowest drop with out replacing my shocks and how low will that get me I want it to sit even too if all possible and will I have to have cc plates
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
598 Posts
What springs can I use to get the lowest drop with out replacing my shocks and how low will that get me I want it to sit even too if all possible and will I have to have cc plates
Probably about an inch and you'd be okay without replacing shocks but I'd still consider some new shocks. A lot of it has to do with the age of your shocks. I'd recommend getting new shocks if you're past 100k miles and not even lowered. For c springs are about an inch I believe. At an inch you won't need cc plates. IMO an inch isn't enough tho. So I'd opt for lower springs like eibach sports or H&R sports. If you drop more than 1.75-2" look into getting cc plates or camber bolts atleast
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Top