Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
TH or dream (or anyone with an opinion):

I was lookin at the economy short blocks at Latemodel Resto. They have forged aluminum pistons among other things. They say "cylinder walls are bored minimum for clean up .040-.060. If it needs to go further, a sleeve is installed." Is this normal? Can someone read the ad for me and tell me if this is a good deal for $1700 please?
http://www.latemodelrestoration.com...g-50L-Economy-Short-Block-With-Forged-Pistons

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
91notchback said:
TH or dream (or anyone with an opinion):

I was lookin at the economy short blocks at Latemodel Resto. They have forged aluminum pistons among other things. They say "cylinder walls are bored minimum for clean up .040-.060. If it needs to go further, a sleeve is installed." Is this normal? Can someone read the ad for me and tell me if this is a good deal for $1700 please?
http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/item/LRS-6009EF/79-95-Mustang-50L-Economy-Short-Block-With-Forged-Pistons
That's the block I'm using !!! Love it

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I remember you pointing it out to me, and a few people downing it because it was bored so far and sleeved if necessary. From what I understand boring .060 is done all the time and sleeving the block is common.

·
Premium Member
3,444 Posts
91notchback said:
I remember you pointing it out to me, and a few people downing it because it was bored so far and sleeved if necessary. From what I understand boring .060 is done all the time and sleeving the block is common.
Some people don't recommend using one for a daily driver if its bored more than .030 over. Whitecobra seems to be fine with his so I would say go for it if it fits your budget.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
91notchback said:
I think when it comes down to boring it , its who and what company does it, and LMR is a good company with all the right machining

·
Banned
8,044 Posts
WhiteCobra94 said:
I think when it comes down to boring it , its who and what company does it, and LMR is a good company with all the right machining
That's the thing though. With the fine print that it states you don't really know who's doing it. I don't believe they are doing it themselves. And also not all blocks are equal. Some maybe worn thin at .060 over were others may not. But if they did proper sonic testing procedures to verify they were ok then they probably are. To me there are a few questions left unanswered.

But with that said you have had good luck with it and I haven't read any bad reviews. :good:

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There's nothing wrong with my block. I will be on a budget. I just didn't wanna put a trickflow top end kit on a old block. (I will be doing this after the first of the year) Do you think I'd be better off getting my block honed and going from there?

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Cool. I'll just make plans to do that then. By the calculations TH put up, I planned on using 30# injectors. What size tb and MAF would you think I would need?

---------- Post added at 04:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:48 PM ----------

Sorry for the 20queston thread...lol!

·
Banned
8,044 Posts
91notchback said:
Cool. I'll just make plans to do that then. By the calculations TH put up, I planned on using 30# injectors. What size tb and MAF would you think I would need?

---------- Post added at 04:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:48 PM ----------

Sorry for the 20queston thread...lol!
30s should work. im not sure on the sizes for tb and maf. i would guess 70 maf and 65 tb? i would, if you can swing it go with the abaco maf though.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was thinkin 70tb and 75maf, but I was just takin shots in the dark. Thanks for everybody's help. And I'm sure I'll have more questions before build time. Thanks guys!!:D

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
dreamstang said:
That's the thing though. With the fine print that it states you don't really know who's doing it. I don't believe they are doing it themselves. And also not all blocks are equal. Some maybe worn thin at .060 over were others may not. But if they did proper sonic testing procedures to verify they were ok then they probably are. To me there are a few questions left unanswered.

But with that said you have had good luck with it and I haven't read any bad reviews. :good:
True! +1 I plan on keeping my motor N/A!!

·
Registered
180 Posts
91notchback said:
There's nothing wrong with my block. I will be on a budget. I just didn't wanna put a trickflow top end kit on a old block. (I will be doing this after the first of the year) Do you think I'd be better off getting my block honed and going from there?
So how much HP will that kit push and what times would you run in the quarter mile with that kit. Do You or anyone else know or have this set up?

·
Registered
132 Posts
It all depends on your set up and $$$!!! But the block and bottom end itself would probably get you 400 to 450 with the use of girdles to be on the safe side. 500 hp + needs to be a special filled block or up grade to 351. Now others my disagree but I'm a conservative when it comes to money and doing it right the first time.

·
Registered
180 Posts
89 coupe said:
It all depends on your set up and $$$!!! But the block and bottom end itself would probably get you 400 to 450 with the use of girdles to be on the safe side. 500 hp + needs to be a special filled block or up grade to 351. Now others my disagree but I'm a conservative when it comes to money and doing it right the first time.
I'm just talking about the kit. Basically a stock block with the kit on to. Only a cam in the bottom end.

·
Banned
776 Posts
What is your budget for the shortblock? Onceyou start getting in the $2000-$3000 range there are significantly better options. For instance DSS or any other speed shop/engine builder.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts