Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
there are 2 weld draglite skinnys on the front of the 88, I have 2 10 hole wheels I will be putting up there, Can I use the lugnuts from the draglites for the 10holes for now or will they not work and should i just pick up some lug nuts from a auto store like advanced auto? (do not want the oem locking lugnuts)

·
Premium Member
19,784 Posts
They should work fine..don't see why they wouldn't

·
Premium Member
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
was just wondering cuz they dont have the conical shape on the bottom i dont think that goes into the wheel itself a lil...guess Ill find out cuz im gonna try and use them when I get home...if it falls off...they wont work :lol:

·
Registered
349 Posts
If they don't have a conical seat then you probably have the shank style lug nuts not conical seat style lugnuts.

Swapping the lug nuts will be a bad thing. Use the right ones.

Steve

·
Premium Member
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i just need them until I can get the new ones, Need the skinnys off as soon as possible cuz they are being sold. they car is not driven so would the lug nuts matter? just need it to hold the wheel on.

·
Premium Member
25,803 Posts
a lug nut is pretty much a lug nut just dont put them on backwards as someone who shall stay namless did. (not me honestly im not that stupid)

·
Registered
349 Posts
No, a lug nut is not pretty much a lug nut.

Conical seat lugnuts are designed to spread the clamping load thru the seat in the wheel and the taper on the nut.

Shank style lugnuts are designed to spread the load through a washer clamped between the head of the lugnut and the face of the rim. If you run shank style lug nuts on a conical seat style rim you will be lucky to have a 1/16" diameter "ring" thru which all the clamping load is applied. Compare that to the same surface on a conical seat lug nut.

First good hard sideload to the rim and the shank type lug nuts will, not make that WILL punch thru the hole in the rim and you will have a nice wobbly rim, if you are lucky. Even light use will waller out the conical seat on the rim compromising it's usefulness.

Of all the things you and I have disagreed about on this site this one is GHETTO.

Steve

·
Premium Member
25,803 Posts
Ponycarman said:
No, a lug nut is not pretty much a lug nut.

Conical seat lugnuts are designed to spread the clamping load thru the seat in the wheel and the taper on the nut.

Shank style lugnuts are designed to spread the load through a washer clamped between the head of the lugnut and the face of the rim. If you run shank style lug nuts on a conical seat style rim you will be lucky to have a 1/16" diameter "ring" thru which all the clamping load is applied. Compare that to the same surface on a conical seat lug nut.

First good hard sideload to the rim and the shank type lug nuts will, not make that WILL punch thru the hole in the rim and you will have a nice wobbly rim, if you are lucky. Even light use will waller out the conical seat on the rim compromising it's usefulness.

Of all the things you and I have disagreed about on this site this one is GHETTO.

Steve
the moral of the story is dont expect to fight off dragons or other mythical monsters with the wrong type lug nuts.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts