Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maaco is running a special on their premium paint, normally it is 700 but with the promo it's 300 for the whole car, I wanted to get my body repainted to freshen it up, how do you guys feel about this? I have heard bad things about them so I'm kinda getting skeched out about It

·
Registered
886 Posts
My neighbor just had his truck painted there with there current special and it looks really good for the price

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
It looks good at first. Give it a year and it will start cracking and fading and will look like ****.
My dads BMW was painted by them over 5 years ago. There are chips from driving but no cracking or fading. Take care of the paint and it should do good. May not last 10-15 years but its only $300? What do you expect? If a 3000 paint job on a every day driver last 10 years and a $300 paint job last 5 years you could paint it twice and save 400$....

·
ME Bloodhound
14,699 Posts
My dads BMW was painted by them over 5 years ago. There are chips from driving but no cracking or fading. Take care of the paint and it should do good. May not last 10-15 years but its only $300? What do you expect? If a 3000 paint job on a every day driver last 10 years and a $300 paint job last 5 years you could paint it twice and save 400$....
I guess it does depend mostly on the person doing the work... Just gotta make sure they take their time and don't cut any corners.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Maaco is running a special on their premium paint, normally it is 700 but with the promo it's 300 for the whole car, I wanted to get my body repainted to freshen it up, how do you guys feel about this? I have heard bad things about them so I'm kinda getting skeched out about It
I got my car painted from Maaco last month actually. Charged me $1100. It seems cheap because I work with a dealership that works with that Maaco and gave me a huge discount. I saw there work first before anything. Overall I was very satisfied with my car. No chips or cracks. I wish I got it in the spring though cause salt is all over the roads here ): and I can never wash my car.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
$300 that's if they don't have to do any extra work. If u have dents or deep scratches it'll prob be more. Just make sure you read the fine print.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Does that price include them sanding the old paint, painting the car, clear coat, and then buffing? If its just straight enamel paint over existing paint it won't last very long and if no clear coat you better always wax your car and keep it out of harsh weather and store it well.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Does that price include them sanding the old paint, painting the car, clear coat, and then buffing? If its just straight enamel paint over existing paint it won't last very long and if no clear coat you better always wax your car and keep it out of harsh weather and store it well.
For $300 that can't include to much prep time. But I don't see them painting and it not lasting. That be bad business and they have pretty good rep. So I don't know what to think or expect lol.

OP post pics if u go thru with it.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
I would ask what there process is in doing that kind of job. I've painted a car before and just the product and paint alone was $600. So I don't know how they are making a profit. But do some research and ask them what brand of paint they use. Ask if they clear coat it for that price and buff the clear coat. If they don't I would pay the extra money now to have that done.

·
Premium Member
6,120 Posts
MAACO or at least here has 3-4 paint options there top of the line paint which is supposed to be equivalent to a factory finish is the same as everywhere else if not more expensive.

They offer the low paint price in hopes to upsell you. MAACO isn't horrible, I just find they're no cheaper than anyone else and do the same quality work.

·
Registered
847 Posts
I got a 300 paint job a few years back on 1 of my older cars they also charge another 150 for the prep work and wet sanding that is not included in the price just an FYI. For the price its very decent work though

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
I would ask what there process is in doing that kind of job. I've painted a car before and just the product and paint alone was $600. So I don't know how they are making a profit. But do some research and ask them what brand of paint they use. Ask if they clear coat it for that price and buff the clear coat. If they don't I would pay the extra money now to have that done.
Remember, you were also painting 1 car. They paint tens of thousands at thousands of locations and its probably with their "house" paint that they make at their factory. So in all actuality the paint probably cost them 10-20$ to paint a car...

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
MAACO is a purely franchise operation, with MAACO corporate providing marketing services and bulk purchase supplies to the individually owned franchise shops, and perhaps some rudimentary direction/training--I.e. the quality of their work is completely determined by the standards of the franchise owner and the people he/she hire to actually do the work.

Over the years I have seen some very good work done by MAACO shops, a lot of nice to "not bad for the price" work, and some OMG/WTF/LOL downright crap.

Preparation is the key to any paint job, do as much of it as you can yourself--they will generally do an OK to downright shoddy job of masking, sanding, etc. Do not expect them to remove things that can and should (light housings, scoops like our hood scoops, custom fuel doors, etc) be removed prior to shooting the car.

Also they will not lift and support rubber trim strips with string so that the paint goes under them, they will a particularly poor job of masking badges. Make it very clear right up front that you will not pay them if the wheels, tires, wheel wells or engine have over-spray on them (they will not unless specifically told seal around the hood when they shoot the paint). Same goes true for the radiator /condenser coil--they will shoot right through the bumper painting those in the process...

1 - 20 of 37 Posts