Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HELLO
FIRST OF ALL LET ME LET U GUYS KNOW THERE IS NO EMISSIONS IN FLORIDA, SO WHATEVER I DO I WON'T HAVE A PROBLEM.
THIS IS MY DILEMA:
I WANT TO GET DUAL EXAHUST FOR MY 2000 V6 MUSTANG. I DON'T KNOW IF I SHOULD GET THE CAT BACKS AND ATTACH IT TO THE CATS BY CUTTING THE Y PIPE AND USING A H PIPE ADATER OR SHOULD I GET AN H-PIPE AND REMOVE THE CATS..THIS IS THE H PIPE I'M REFERING TO. IT ATTACHES DIRECTLY TO THE HEADERS WHICH WOULD MEAN REMOVING THE CATS:

http://www.extremeeffect.com/38Trueduals.html

I DON'T WANT TO LOOSE TOO MUCH TORQUE EITHER, THAT'S WHY I'M THINKING ABOUT KEEPING THE CATS

OH YEAH BY THE WAY RIGHT NOW MY ENGINE IS STOCK.
PLEASE ADVISE...AND THANX :-?

·
Premium Member
5,187 Posts
if you are stock just get a cat back system or go to a local muffler shop and have them take out the Y and put dual exhaust on . On a stock motor go with no bigger than 2 1/4 pipe and dont take the cats off. Also remember 2006 mandatory fed law will require all states to have emission testing or face loss of millions of federal money

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
:yes: I have the kit that bolts to the y-pipe, sounds great!! And like Corey said emission tests will be mandatory in 2 years. Personally I would just get the cat back that bolts up. But leave the cats on. ;)

·
You want to **** me?
4,043 Posts
i got the pacesetter adapter that goes onto the Y pipe after you cut it... it was easy to install and sounds fine and has held up great.

unless youre pushing some heavy engine mods its not going to matter what you do in this case. Id say do whatevers cheapest

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
HEY THANKS A LOT.. DID NOT KNOW ABOUT THE EMISSION LAWS BEING MANDATORY IN TWO YEARS....I'M THINKING I WILL GET THE PACESETTER ADAPTER AND THE BOLT ON CAT BACK. THIS IS THE CHEAPEST WAY TO GO, I'M SURE I'LL BE ABLE TO INSTALL THIS MYSELF. THANKS AGAIN. I'M GLAD I JOINED THIS FORUM :D

CHECK PUT MY CAR AT CAR DOMAIN:
http://www.cardomain.com/id/v6mustang007

L8R

·
Registered
567 Posts
Does pacesetter make an adaptor for 99+ cars? I didn't think they did.

You have to put into consideration will you be modding the car heavily or not.

If yes, look for a true duals system ie h-pipe and catback.

If your just doing minor stuff like boltons, then the y-pipe duals would be fine for you.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
YES, PACESETTER DOES MAKE THE ADAPTER FOR 99+ CARS...I HAD STRONGLY CONSIDERED GETTING THE Y PIPE BOLT ON...BUT THEN I HERAD FROM A LOT OF PEOPLE THAT IT WAS A WASTE OF $$$...I REALLY DON'T THINK I'LL BE DOING ANY HARDCORE MODS TO MY STANG. I'M NOT LOOKING FOR A DRAG CAR JUST A V6 THAT IS DIFFERENT FROM THE REST....ANY OF U GUYS HAVE THE Y PIPE BOLT ON?? DID IT WORK FOR U? FEEL ANY IMPROVEMENTS IN HP/SOUND?.....DUDE! I'M CONFUSED ON WHAT TO DO AGAIN! :-?

·
Registered
567 Posts
the y-pipe catback would be your best bet. It bolts up to the factory y-pipe and give you "dual" exhaust. No need to cut anything.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
YOU ARE PROBABLY RIGHT. I'VE BEEN THINKING ABOUT IT FOR THE LONGEST TIME. LIKE I SAID B4 I HAD FINALLY DECIDED ON THE Y PIPE BOLT ON. THEN I RED SOME ARTICLES AND HEARD FROM OTHER PEOPLE THAT IT WASN'T WORTH IT...I GUESS I'LL JUST HAVE TO DO SOME MORE THINKING AND ASKING AROUND. THANKS

·
Premium Member
5,187 Posts
If you are planning to supercharge, nitrous, performance heads, cams and intakes or all the above go get cat back, remove the Y.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :oops: :-? See this is what i've been going thru and the reason why I haven't done the mod...what if I get the y-pipe bolt on and then later I regret it 'caus I decide to do some major mods....I should propably decide what I really want to do with this car in the future and then decide on the exhaust.

·
Premium Member
5,187 Posts
OMG you got it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shock: ;) :D :headbang: :headbang:

By just taking the Y out and getting 2 1/4 ehaust pipe installed from just aft of the cats back is the way to go. No matter what you decide to do you will be ok ;) ;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts