Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a way to convert a 2001 GT into a Mach 1?

I know technically it would'nt count as an original Mach 1 but i'd like to try and work for another tittle for my GT other than Cobra which would take me a long time to get.

Any feedback helps! Even if I am wrong!

SN-95 New Edge GT

·
Premium Member
6,863 Posts
Are you wanting the Mach 1 exterior appearance or everything the Mach 1 came with from the factory?

Pick your poison.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Sure but if you're talking about making the drivetrain like the Mach 1 also, it would be a LOT cheaper to just sell your GT and put the money towards an actual Mach 1.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Maybe just having the power and looks of a Mach 1 because atm i'm really torn on what I want to put my money towards with my car. I'm almost about to start saving up for a 05 GT500 but that'd take a lot of saving over a year and a half or so.

SN-95 New Edge GT

·
Registered
147 Posts
Well the Mach 1 is a bit underrated power-wise, so you'll need about 320 crank HP to match a stock one. You should also get 3.55s in the back like the Machs have, IMO. Full bolt-ons and a good dyno tune should get you where you want to be.

Keep in mind you should be able to get a Mach 1 in pretty good shape with reasonable miles for around $12k. If your GT is in good shape, you ought to be able to get around $6k for it, and you'd be spending thousands in mods anyway. The 4V also responds better to any mods you might do in the future. I've seen all-motor Mach 1's pushing near 400 HP.

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Motor swap, shaker hood, seats, shifter, gauge cluster, grille delete, chin spoiler, and a few other odds and ends. I wouldn't misbadge it with the Mach 1 side stripes, or any Mach badges though.

Just before I bought my GT, there was a guy with a cobra clone. He went all out on it, but the Vin had it as a GT and it had the GT cluster. He insisted it was a legit stock Cobra, but after talking to him I could tell he was one of those guys who are just full of crap.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920AZ using Mustang Evolution mobile app

·
Registered
147 Posts
^^^^ +1

I love when GTs converted to a Cobra clone show up on craigslist and the owner is asking real Cobra prices for it.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Dude I WISH my cobra could be insured as a GT. if I had a nickel for every dollar I pay for insurance every month I would have **** tons of nickels.

·
Premium Member
6,003 Posts
Maybe just having the power and looks of a Mach 1 because atm i'm really torn on what I want to put my money towards with my car. I'm almost about to start saving up for a 07 GT500 but that'd take a lot of saving over a year and a half or so.

SN-95 New Edge GT
Fixed it for you.

Save your money and buy a legit Mach. Trying to make a clone is gonna be just as expensive as buying one and you still end up with a GT VIN which will murder resale value.

·
Super Moderator
17,969 Posts
What these guys are saying. Making your GT look just like a Mach with a 4V swap will be more expensive than just selling your car and buying a Mach.

As for a GT500, that is a $30k car for an 07-09 and those are the cheapest ones. Plus if you are under 25 and not married then have fun with your insurance company with one of those... Even if you are...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts