Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My stang came with a mach 460 audio system i was wondering if i got new cd player what kind of wiring harness would i need ,and after i got
the new cd player would my mach 460 speakers still work? Here is a
list of them but i dont know wich one i need.....i have a 2000 mustang

http://www.sounddomain.com/shop/list/t/Car+Stereo+Wiring+Harnesses

·
Registered
800 Posts
Our 2003 Mach1 came with the Mach460 system aswell ( go figure ;) ) and it just doesnt handle bass and treble and sub/amp box hooked up just right, get a little distortion from higher up decimals...anyways we have pondered the idea of replacing the head unit ourselves aswell, can ya tell me were we could get a replacement radio holder being that there is such a huge opening compared to a normal stereo head unit.

Thanks!

·
11,873 Posts
I dont reall yknow that much about Mach 460. I would never buy a car with it tho. to much of a hassle.

If I were you I would just get you a new head unit and a set of four speakers for the front and year and wire them up your self.

Or if you want get a amp to wire up to the speakers.

No way would I put a head unit on the old mach 460 speakers. I would just re wire it all. Its not as hard as it sounds.

If you were going to rewire it I would go ahead and get you a 4 channel amp since your going to be rewiring it.

But if I were you I would not put a Head unit on stock 460 speakers...... here is why i think you shouldnt

1) the speakers are hooked up to seperate amps

2) if you get a new headunit the headunit is going to be putting out more power than your stock one and is going to run a risk of frying your amps. My friend has a mach 460 in his v6 mustang and he hooked up a headunit to his amps and his headunit would cut off and distort because it was getting extremely hot.

I went to crutchfield.com and entered your set up and it gave me the full list of cd players for sale. I didnt see them saying anything about by passing the amps so I dunno.

Those are just my thoughts and experiences with the 460

·
11,873 Posts
you dont have to have a new amp but either way i would rewire. Either from the headunit or a amp.

I was just saying if your going through the trouble of rewiring it I would save up and get a amp and do it that way.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
A Scosche wiring harness is an absolute must when installing an aftermarket car stereo. It provides easy connection of the car stereo to the factory wiring harness. Each harness includes both power and speaker wires, and each is labeled with its specific function. Any cutting of the factory wires is avoided so all connections are exactly right. All wires are color coded (EIA standard) for easy identification.
The FDK10 is used when replacing the factory head unit and retaining the factory amplifier in Premium Sound or MACH Audio systems. Utilizes the low-power (10W x 4 MAX) speaker outputs of the stereo only. For high-power head units (over 10W per channel), use the Scosche FAI-3 in conjunction with the FDK10.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
when i put a cd player in there do i take out the stock cd player and stock radio
what do i put where do i put in the place or the cd player

·
11,873 Posts
Ok I learned something today as well about the mach460 :)

You can replace your headunit and keep your stock speakers and factory amps:

here is what you need to do it:

Scosche FDK10

Scosche FAI-3

but:

If you go that route your mach 460 speakers are just not going to cut it and your going to want to replace ally our speakers

I still recommend doing what i said earlier and buy a new headunit and four speakers and wiring them yourself. That way you dont have to worry about the factory amps going bad due to the increased power going through them. And that second thing that they told you to get......

well that thing started melting in my car when I installed a more powerful cd player in the place of the one that was originally in there.......

if you are on a budget and just want a nice headunit in your car buy the adapters.

If you want nice clean sound from your headunit it do it the way I suggest.

·
11,873 Posts
starboarder2004 said:
when i put a cd player in there do i take out the stock cd player and stock radio
what do i put where do i put in the place or the cd player
You can leave the stock cd player in there or take it out and 1) buy a coin holder thing for down there 2) buy one of zim's switch panels :)

you can find the coin holder things at ford dealer or junkyard. Junkyard is way cheaper

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
k thanks
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-XGoXpMzkIWA/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?a=1&s=0&cc=01&g=751&id=detailed_info&i=142C4FDK5
is this what i would need

·
Premium Member
19,890 Posts
I should have found this earlier. Yes you can hook the 460 system up to any aftermarker cd player with a remote out. This is the wire that tells your amp when to turn on and off so it won't run your battery down all the time. When you buy the wiring harness it should all the labeled very clearly and you can simply hook the wires up. If you don't hook this remote bass wire up (little blue wire on most cd players) none of the speakers will work because the amp is not on. I've put several aftermarket cd players in mustangs with both the mach 460 and 1000 systems and it just adds to the sound experience. I would personally change out the factory speakers but I can't stand to leave anything stock. Of course I've still got the stock 6x8's in my stang so who am I to talk. But it is a fairly easy hook up and if you aren't comfortable doing this wiring it would be well worth it to find someone local to do it for a small fee. Then you can simply blame them if anything ends up going wrong :D . I personally guarantee all my work for the life of the cd player or car, whichever comes first lol. :D . Just my 2 cents and experience for ya there, hope I helped you some. Anymore questions email me [email protected]

1 - 20 of 20 Posts