Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok So I called my local machine shop to find out how much it'll cost to drop off my old bare 302 block and have it cleaned, magnaflux, bore, and hone, and they told me $300!

Is that a good price / deal or is that a normal price, I don't know much about machine shop prices! I just want to have a back up block in case something happens to my new one that's in the car now. Or possibly start building a forged stroker kit and swap it out later down the road!

·
Registered
132 Posts
That is a fair price, but ask if they will throw in a paint job for the block after cleaning. Then that would be a good price.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Sounds like a good price to me. But I would have it magnafluxed first to find out if its any good before the money is spent on the rest of machining.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
wc3john said:
Sounds like a good price to me. But I would have it magnafluxed first to find out if its any good before the money is spent on the rest of machining.
Yea that's what they are gonna do before they go through the rest of the process

·
Banned
8,779 Posts
Ok So I called my local machine shop to find out how much it'll cost to drop off my old bare 302 block and have it cleaned, magnaflux, bore, and hone, and they told me $300!

Is that a good price / deal or is that a normal price, I don't know much about machine shop prices! I just want to have a back up block in case something happens to my new one that's in the car now. Or possibly start building a forged stroker kit and swap it out later down the road!
That's probably a decent price, but I wouldn't have it bored until you have the pistons for it. I always have them number & fit the pistons to the bores at a specified clearance. That way if you have one that is out of specs you don't end up with a tight or loose fit. Started doing that after issues with bore clearance on a build years ago. Saves a lot of headaches if there are differences in the pistons. :good:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts