Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After much debating I have decided to install some high flow cats back on my car. I will have them custom installed on my O/R H pipe. Knowing the federal laws will come into effect soon requiring all states conform to emmission laws, even states currently without inspections and the fact I have a little to much exhaust noise inside my car than I like. Alos it is the right thing to do for the environment

I am not saying it does not sound good because you young guys dont mind the increased volumes in your car. But at 44 it is a little much especially since I do take my family for drives and military officers to business lunches from time to time.

I know I will lose a few HP in the process but with the installation of the BV heads I should not miss it and still have about a +20 hp gain even with the cats back on. I will dyno in the next couple of weeks to verify my gains.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I wonder if I should get a catted h-pipe and save myself the hassle of having to put some cats in later on?
Well, Ill be looking fwd to seeing your numbers!

·
Registered
346 Posts
Brent said:
Screw the enviroment :)

You know, as a kid I grew up in NW Indiana, all around were steel mills.

I gotta disagree with that Brent, ;) While I do think the environmental movement is overboard (look at how they started, or rather who started them) I also think responsible stewardship of the land is required.

Steve

·
Premium Member
602 Posts
cats dont really do anything hp wise anyway, you might have a extra 5hp w/o them but u cant feel that once it gets to the wheels. I say put em on. ill be getting a offroad H then putting cats on for the fact its cheaper, 150-200 H pipe compared to 400+ cats I can get for 50 or less each.

·
Banned
9,745 Posts
Ponycarman said:

I gotta disagree with that Brent, ;) While I do think the environmental movement is overboard (look at how they started, or rather who started them) I also think responsible stewardship of the land is required.

Steve
Screw Cats :)

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Ponycarman said:

Steve
I'm with Steve.

So Cal air quality.... well... Lets just say you would be better off smoking through a cigarrette 24/7... at least then you'll have a filter!

But alas, I only smoke cigars on rare occasions.... maybe once a month.

**** I'm not worried about the cigar... I'm worried about all the damn smog I've been breathing all my life!

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Danger Dude said:
After much debating I have decided to install some high flow cats back on my car. I will have them custom installed on my O/R H pipe. Knowing the federal laws will come into effect soon requiring all states conform to emmission laws, even states currently without inspections and the fact I have a little to much exhaust noise inside my car than I like. Alos it is the right thing to do for the environment

I am not saying it does not sound good because you young guys dont mind the increased volumes in your car. But at 44 it is a little much especially since I do take my family for drives and military officers to business lunches from time to time.

I know I will lose a few HP in the process but with the installation of the BV heads I should not miss it and still have about a +20 hp gain even with the cats back on. I will dyno in the next couple of weeks to verify my gains.
Per our lengthy phone conversation, if the reason you have a lope
is due to factors I cited (excessive cross flow) The cats will reduce that.
Going BV will make the cats seem less of a restriction too, as you get more
flow from the same cam profile. Hi-Flows are not a big deal, they usually
do not restrict until much higher RPM's. Using a V8 exhaust on a V6, the
cats become somewhat of an equalizing factor.

BTW Corey, what did you think of the cams we discussed :D

·
Premium Member
19,573 Posts
Cats are a good thing...IMO at least.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
In many situations they are a non-restriction, but in racing they should be left off if
it is legal. Most all cases it is.

My 89 5.0 had no cats and never seemed to suffer any ill effects,
but I also had the torque enhancing MAC prochamber and Warlock muffs,
plus 1.625" equal length headers. Warlocks are known to have higher
backpressure than many mufflers, if not properly sized. But then again,
running a V8 muffler on a V6 would seem to be just right if the flow is
slightly lessened. My system was all 2.5" mandrel bent.

·
Premium Member
25,464 Posts
if they test every car and make you pass it by actually doing a test... no tjust looking at a car... just about every other person is gonna be pissed here lol EVERY one especially those with stangs and camaros have NO cats or mufflers for that matter :)

·
Premium Member
19,573 Posts
They are going to start phasing in a mandatory smog emissions test into all the states here in the next few years. It will be one of those "conform or no more money" things.

·
Registered
61 Posts
on that not from what i was told any new emissions laws can not be put on cars that are out now they are enacted on newer cars they can just say to the states that you must test for emissions but thats about it they would have to pass the laws your state had on those cars before

·
Premium Member
19,573 Posts
hawks05 said:
on that not from what i was told any new emissions laws can not be put on cars that are out now they are enacted on newer cars they can just say to the states that you must test for emissions but thats about it they would have to pass the laws your state had on those cars before
Yeh, but still...I'll worry about cats if I ever do an engine swap or heavily mod the 6er..until then I really don't care.

·
Premium Member
4,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The Federal law signed by Clinton Gore takes affect over 06-07 It is vary harsh and involves impounding non conforming cars. Hell it regulates the amount of dust a Farming Combine can kick up tell they are fined for air polution.

Enviornment is a small issue compared to the noise issue.

·
Premium Member
4,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
hawks05 said:
That is wrong. Current Federal law already can fine an muffler shop $10,000 per for incident of removing Cats. That is in all 50 states. The fine for you removing it from your car if turned in is $10,000 That is in all 50 states.
Federal emission laws supercede all state laws

Cats are required in all 50 states reqardless if they have required inspections or not.

I am not hammering anyone who chooses to have cats or not. Like I said I have my reasons and the main rreason is comfort inside my car. Other than that bitching in my post is unwarranted and not justified

So Brent BACK THE CRAP UP AND STFU HAHAHHAHAHAHAA :eek: :eek: :banana: :lmao:

·
Banned
9,745 Posts
Danger Dude said:
The Federal law signed by Clinton Gore takes affect over 06-07 It is vary harsh and involves impounding non conforming cars. Hell it regulates the amount of dust a Farming Combine can kick up tell they are fined for air polution.

Enviornment is a small issue compared to the noise issue.
Got any links where I can read up on this?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts