Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have the axel back competition for the GT. Does it drone at the 2000 rpm range?

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have it and yes it does. I like the sound a lot other than that though.

·
Premium Member
1,981 Posts
It seeme like that 1,900 to 2,100 rpm range is the weak spot for a lot of exhaust systems.
It would not matter to me how good the system sounded outside of that if it droned. There are lots of times on the freeway when you are in that zone at speed, and it would be a true PIA to have to downshift to avoid having that hole drilled in your head by the exhaust tone. That, and it's ten times worse going uphill or under more of a load.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Yea I mean if I had to do it again, I would've went a different route. I love the deep tone of the system, but you pay the price for it. Borla systems have virtually zero drone. Much better choice IMO.

·
Premium Member
1,981 Posts
Yea I mean if I had to do it again, I would've went a different route. I love the deep tone of the system, but you pay the price for it. Borla systems have virtually zero drone. Much better choice IMO.
I had a Bassani axle back on my '97 Cobra, and the tone was PERFECT thoughout the entire rev range. No drone anywhere.
I heard a new Bassani system on a new GT last week, and although the idle was similar, it was a LOT louder at higher rpm's than my old system............could have something to do with putting 435 HP through it instead of 305. Hard to think that the rental version V6 on the 2015 now has the same HP as my old Cobra....time marches on, right?

·
Registered
83 Posts
I had a Bassani axle back on my '97 Cobra, and the tone was PERFECT thoughout the entire rev range. No drone anywhere.

I heard a new Bassani system on a new GT last week, and although the idle was similar, it was a LOT louder at higher rpm's than my old system............could have something to do with putting 435 HP through it instead of 305. Hard to think that the rental version V6 on the 2015 now has the same HP as my old Cobra....time marches on, right?

Yeap, every year comes with HP increases. The bassani sounded a little too raspy to me. That's one thing that drew me to the mag comps, virtually no rasp, just deep rich tones ( and drone haha). But as stated many times before, exhaust tones are very subjective to every persons preference.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys I like that deep muscle car sound but looking for one that won't drone may have go with the borla exhaust but they are a bit to raspy what is flow master like?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What about the mag aglow street cat back does it drone?
Does it have that deep tone at idle?

·
Registered
124 Posts
I just installed the Magnaflow Street catback with the x-pipe and love it. NO drone, deep tone and good sound at idle and through the gears and can hardly hear at cruise speeds.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts