Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 140 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting rid of my 97 gt, but I don't know if I should get manual or auto trans for the 13 I'm going to get? I heard people have been having problems in manual. Plus I live in Los Angeles traffic blows. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
223 Posts
After having nothing but manual cars, minus my last V8 Auto... I'll never have another auto. It's so disappointing and kind of kills the spirit of the car in my opinion. In any driving situation, it is hard for me to get the same feeling in an auto vs. a 6-speed manual.

MANUAL ALL THE WAY!!!

·
Registered
22 Posts
If you are going to be sitting in a lot of traffic I'd say go for the auto. I have an auto 13 5.0 and love it. The sport mode is great and you can change gears with the buttons. While yes you can't run thru the gears like a manual. After you've been in traffic for an hour your left leg will be thanking you! But it's all in what you want. Like I said I love my auto 13 5.0

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
I have a manual and sit in traffic everyday, it depends on you, my leg never hurts or gets Tired, bc this manuals are not old school with a super heavy clutch.
IMO if you want the full muscle and fun car experience get a Manual car. It was never a question for me.

---------- Post added at 01:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:19 PM ----------

It also makes the exhaust sound nicer when you down shift and tell people to get out of your way by revving your engine :)

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
After having nothing but manual cars, minus my last V8 Auto... I'll never have another auto. It's so disappointing and kind of kills the spirit of the car in my opinion. In any driving situation, it is hard for me to get the same feeling in an auto vs. a 6-speed manual.

MANUAL ALL THE WAY!!!
While I agree with this

If you are going to be sitting in a lot of traffic I'd say go for the auto. I have an auto 13 5.0 and love it. The sport mode is great and you can change gears with the buttons. While yes you can't run thru the gears like a manual. After you've been in traffic for an hour your left leg will be thanking you! But it's all in what you want. Like I said I love my auto 13 5.0
if you are going to be sitting in traffic a lot, then an automatic with a tune isn't a bad idea. I got stock in 20 min slightly moving traffic because of 4 accidents all within 20 feet of each other the other night and it was terrible. My leg was killing me, and my foot got the tingles after getting out of the mess.

We were moving enough I could sit in N but not enough I could have the clutch all the way out.

---------- Post added at 01:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:21 PM ----------

I have a manual and sit in traffic everyday, it depends on you, my leg never hurts or gets Tired, bc this manuals are not old school with a super heavy clutch.
IMO if you want the full muscle and fun car experience get a Manual car. It was never a question for me.

---------- Post added at 01:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:19 PM ----------

It also makes the exhaust sound nicer when you down shift and tell people to get out of your way by revving your engine :)
depends for me how much traffic is moving...if I have to hold the clutch 3 inches off the floor for 20 mins, I am going to get more tired than holding it down the floor, and every now and then letting it out. Usually when I get stuck in traffic it is no big deal, other times it can be terrible.

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
When i go to the gym i try to workout legs atlease once a week to keep my clutch foot in shape lol
lol, still...

I've been working out in gyms since 14. I am not huge, but I am not a weak guy. Holding the clutch for 20 mins without being able to keep it pressed to the floor or let it close to all the way out, your leg is going to hurt. Some people sit in that kind of traffic for 40+ mins.

Personally even with that, I wouldn't take an auto, but I know plenty of people who still would, just because of how they are.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
If ur gonna make a lot of hp auto puts the power to the ground better but manual is more fun

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
Jstovall said:
I'm getting rid of my 97 gt, but I don't know if I should get manual or auto trans for the 13 I'm going to get? I heard people have been having problems in manual. Plus I live in Los Angeles traffic blows. What do you guys think?
I was thinking about going to look at a 2012 w/auto because of a great deal on it. My ol'lady laughed and said " you don't want an auto in a car like that " , I said you know me better than I do.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Jstovall said:
Considering you live in LA like me, an auto isn't a bad choice because honestly there isn't much room for spirited driving here.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Test drive both and see which feels more you. You could also try renting each for a weekend. That will give you a more extended period to make an assessment.

·
Registered
720 Posts
lol, still...

I've been working out in gyms since 14. I am not huge, but I am not a weak guy. Holding the clutch for 20 mins without being able to keep it pressed to the floor or let it close to all the way out, your leg is going to hurt. Some people sit in that kind of traffic for 40+ mins.

Personally even with that, I wouldn't take an auto, but I know plenty of people who still would, just because of how they are.
I'm confused as to why you never get to let it all the way out or press it to the floor for an entire 20 minute duration and how you can be in N but not let the clutch out?

I'm not asking to insult you, I'm asking because I've only been driving stick for a month and a half and am curious.

Which also leads me to ask a question, and sorry for going off topic, but when I'm shifting while cruising or accelerating or whatever, do I have to go to the floor or just a little past the engagement point? I generally go to the floor or close to it but I feel like I might not have to do that.

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
I'm confused as to why you never get to let it all the way out or press it to the floor for an entire 20 minute duration and how you can be in N but not let the clutch out?

I'm not asking to insult you, I'm asking because I've only been driving stick for a month and a half and am curious.

Which also leads me to ask a question, and sorry for going off topic, but when I'm shifting while cruising or accelerating or whatever, do I have to go to the floor or just a little past the engagement point? I generally go to the floor or close to it but I feel like I might not have to do that.
Well when you are rolling at 5-8 mph, atleast with my gearing, I can't let the clutch out all the way, but I don't sit in N either. usually I have the clutch a little ways out so it is catching enough to move the car forward that speed, but not all the way out that she'll stall.

I was talking about it not being bad if you sit in none moving traffic in N and take your foot of the clutch, or can ride in a gear with your foot off the clutch.

·
Registered
7,204 Posts
KARgt13 said:

As you drive your car more you will be able to tell that sweet spot in your clutch. No you don't have to go to the floor. I don't think I ever do lol except maybe when I first start it up. :p

---------- Post added at 03:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:33 PM ----------

And as for the auto/manual question, I don't care where you live. If you are buying a mustang whether it be a 3.7 or a 5.0 you know why you bought it. That being said, I think they should only come in a manual. There is a reason why the GT500 and the other hipro mustangs only come in a manual.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
I vote automatic as well. Traffic is the worst in a manual, especially when it's stop-and-go traffic. Plus, I really like the 11+ auto transmissions. With a tune, they can be real animals when you step on it or smooth when you want to cruise. Thus, I think an automatic transmission is best for you.

I've actually been thinking about getting a '13 auto GT myself. Except, I was gonna install a decent sized torque converter, cams, and some nitrous haha.

Good luck with your decision!

Shane

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks guys I appreciate the answers! Yeah I really want the manual for fun but in stop and go traffic it'll be kind of annoying. Look like ill just have to test drive both and see which suits me. Thanks again guys!

·
Registered
720 Posts
As you drive your car more you will be able to tell that sweet spot in your clutch. No you don't have to go to the floor. I don't think I ever do lol except maybe when I first start it up. :p

---------- Post added at 03:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:33 PM ----------

And as for the auto/manual question, I don't care where you live. If you are buying a mustang whether it be a 3.7 or a 5.0 you know why you bought it. That being said, I think they should only come in a manual. There is a reason why the GT500 and the other hipro mustangs only come in a manual.
I know where the sweet spot is at this point I've just been going all but to the floor out of habit. Rookie mistake haha

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
I know where the sweet spot is at this point I've just been going all but to the floor out of habit. Rookie mistake haha
Definitely do it when the car is cold. Once she has been running for a few mins then have at it.

·
Registered
7,204 Posts
KARgt13 said:
Hey aleast your learning. I think everyone should learn to drive a manual even if they drive a auto every day.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I live in SoCal too and sometimes I miss having a manual transmission... But then I remember that I live in SoCal and it takes 30 minutes to drive 5 miles in rush hour. Either buy an auto, or buy a manual + a cheap commuter car.

1 - 20 of 140 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.