Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the stang is all put up for the winter and I'm starting to gear up for some projects to get her ready to kick some serious ass next spring. First on the list is changing the manual transmission fluid, since I'm getting some pretty bad crunching when shifting until it warms up (if the fluid change doesn't fix it I will take it to the dealership but I'm trying to avoid that for all the obvious reasons).

I was planning on putting in Royal Purple MT Fluid, but someone (cant remember who or what forum) said that I should be careful about doing that and only use the dual-clutch MT fluid from Ford/Motorcraft. Is there any credibility behind this or will I be OK running the Royal Purple stuff? If so, should I just get the fluid from Ford or are there any other acceptable alternatives.

Also, if you have changed your fluid out for anything other than the Motorcraft Dual Clutch stuff, please let me know what you used and whether it helped the crunchy gear shifting.

Thanks!

·
Registered
702 Posts
Napoleon85 said:
So the stang is all put up for the winter and I'm starting to gear up for some projects to get her ready to kick some serious ass next spring. First on the list is changing the manual transmission fluid, since I'm getting some pretty bad crunching when shifting until it warms up (if the fluid change doesn't fix it I will take it to the dealership but I'm trying to avoid that for all the obvious reasons).

I was planning on putting in Royal Purple MT Fluid, but someone (cant remember who or what forum) said that I should be careful about doing that and only use the dual-clutch MT fluid from Ford/Motorcraft. Is there any credibility behind this or will I be OK running the Royal Purple stuff? If so, should I just get the fluid from Ford or are there any other acceptable alternatives.

Also, if you have changed your fluid out for anything other than the Motorcraft Dual Clutch stuff, please let me know what you used and whether it helped the crunchy gear shifting.

Thanks!
I second this! I would like to know the same.:)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Yea you basically have the same question that I am asking. One of the guys on this forum was telling me there is a TSB I believe and the dealer will change it for you which I am going to look into. I was going to buy the royal purple stuff at first too from anericanmusce.com but someone told me if you use anything other then Ford tranny fluid or what is recommended they might not warranty it if anything ever happens to the tranny.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Yea you basically have the same question that I am asking. One of the guys on this forum was telling me there is a TSB I believe and the dealer will change it for you which I am going to look into. I was going to buy the royal purple stuff at first too from anericanmusce.com but someone told me if you use anything other then Ford tranny fluid or what is recommended they might not warranty it if anything ever happens to the tranny.
True, that. Go with their recommendation, and have it done at the dealer, per their TSB.

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
True, that. Go with their recommendation, and have it done at the dealer, per their TSB.
Yes, there is a TSB but I will not be taking it in. My warranty is history, but I don't want to discuss that. I want to discuss if there are any technical reasons that the Royal Purple MTF would not be compatible with the MT-82. Regardless of the fluid used, I will be doing the change myself.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have not heard anything about the royal purple but I know you can buy it on americanmuscle.com. I would go with the dual clutch.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts