Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it terrible on your transmission to downshift into 1st around 30 MPH?

Or should I just use the clutch in second gear at 30 MPH to get my rpms higher???

·
Registered
46 Posts
I don't know about 30mph but I shift into 1st all the time at 5-10mph and I've done that with all the manual tranny cars I've owned. I have no problems with the synchro and usually give it a small rev to get the rpms to match the input shaft.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
I don't know about 30mph but I shift into 1st all the time at 5-10mph and I've done that with all the manual tranny cars I've owned. I have no problems with the synchro and usually give it a small rev to get the rpms to match the input shaft.
Rev match is what has prevented u from having problems... Either way its not recommend... It still adds stress to the tranny why not just go to second ? If in a race then just go from a dig an quit trying 20 punches lol and go from a stop to show who is the better driver

·
Registered
78 Posts
I never really go to first for a downshift... It's a waste and you really have to do it perfect so it doesn't rock. I occasionally go 3rd to 2nd for a turn or slowing down. But I say 3rd gear should be around 30-45. So going 30 to first is excessive ! Don't do that

·
Banned
510 Posts
I never really go to first for a downshift... It's a waste and you really have to do it perfect so it doesn't rock. I occasionally go 3rd to 2nd for a turn or slowing down. But I say 3rd gear should be around 30-45. So going 30 to first is excessive ! Don't do that
I drop 3rd to 2nd all the time. It's necessary if you and a Honda need to have an exhaust volume competition on the street =D

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys. I didn't think it was good on it. My dad had a 1970 charger RT and he said he just always downshifted into 1st. And I was gonna start doing that with the mustang but I won't now.

·
Banned
510 Posts
Thanks guys. I didn't think it was good on it. My dad had a 1970 charger RT and he said he just always downshifted into 1st. And I was gonna start doing that with the mustang but I won't now.
That was a 4 speed big homie. Different animal and I'm sure it was totally safe. But second is as low as you'd wanna go. I normally rev match to 2nd at no higher than 40mph. My dad had cool **** like that too but he drives like a ***** lol.

·
Registered
58 Posts
It's actually on Page 156 of your owners manual that down shifting any faster than 15mph can cause damage to your clutch. It also has a table for recommended shift points to maximize economy, if you're interested in that sort of nonsense lol.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's actually on Page 156 of your owners manual that down shifting any faster than 15mph can cause damage to your clutch. It also has a table for recommended shift points to maximize economy, if you're interested in that sort of nonsense lol.
I sadly will go read that page later tonight lol. Thanks man.

·
Registered
43 Posts
In the manual, I think it say anything above 15 mph is bad for your car. I'd probably be WAY over redline with my 4.10s.

Edit: Just realized someone already mentioned it. Sorry! xD

·
Registered
78 Posts
I drop 3rd to 2nd all the time. It's necessary if you and a Honda need to have an exhaust volume competition on the street =D
True ! Trying to show your volume and racing by all means beat on it. But regular driving I try not to wear the clutch. Everyone does their own thing ! Your mustang, your driving !

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Down shifting to every stop is also bad... But it's fun... And if my tranny brakes gives me a reason to get a Tremec direct bolt or a Shelby 6 speed swap

·
Premium Member
2,506 Posts
Even my racing training we were told to not go into first until already stopped - I still tend to hit first if, say, we're about to get a green light and I'm below 10MPH nothing really beyond that

---------- Post added at 07:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:30 PM ----------

Down shifting to every stop is also bad... But it's fun... And if my tranny brakes gives me a reason to get a Tremec direct bolt or a Shelby 6 speed swap
TR6060 has been awesome so far, you would NOT be disappointed.. Once you adjust your rear end ratio accordingly :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts