Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want the technical answer to why a manual is better than a tuned auto. To me a computer shifting at optimal shift is better than any driver because there is always room for human error. If anyone can answer this with a concise reason I would appreciate it I was trying to explain the concept to my dad.

·
Premium Member
14,462 Posts
Neither is "better", people love manuals because you lose a little less power through drive train loss, but auto is "better" for the dragstrip because it shifts faster than manuals. People love manuals though because it lets people feel in tune with their car, and its a hell of a lot more fun. Its not about which one is "better", its about which one you prefer. I personally prefer manual.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've heard people say it's still better not on here but when I tell them I have a tuned auto and try to explain why it's better they still say a manual is better... I get why it is better untuned to a manual because with a manual you can control your rpms and shift points

·
Premium Member
14,462 Posts
I've heard people say it's still better not on here but when I tell them I have a tuned auto and try to explain why it's better they still say a manual is better... I get why it is better untuned to a manual because with a manual you can control your rpms and shift points
People that say a manual is better is just because they let their personal feelings get in the way of their decision making. They like manuals better, thats how they justify saying it is better.

·
Premium Member
14,462 Posts
Well I've always wonder why people always say manuals are faster and if there is no great difference why aren't some race cars autos?
Manuals have less drivetrain loss. Generally autos are better for drag strip, and manuals are better for actual track racing (autocross)

---------- Post added at 10:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:35 PM ----------

Most dragster cars are automatics.

·
Premium Member
14,462 Posts
Ya I figured it was mainly about preference... People have this notion that it's not a real sports car unless it's a manual
Thats because we all associate sports cars with being really fun, and 99.9% of people will say a manual is more fun than an auto.

---------- Post added at 10:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:37 PM ----------

Alright that's make sense do you know approx. what the drivetrain loss difference is? Is it a set amount of hp or a percent of hp at the crank?
Rule of thumb for RWD cars is 15% for manual, 20% for auto. Its how much power you lose from the crank to the wheels.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Mustangman92 said:
I say a manual is better because there is more to driving than just drag strip. I like having direct control over where the power is going. I want to heel toe shift and be able to clutch kick or clutch in to find grip at any time. I know an auto is quicker and more consistent at the drag strip, but you loose so much control and fun everywhere else imo. If you like the auto, great. Enjoy it.

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
Thats because we all associate sports cars with being really fun, and 99.9% of people will say a manual is more fun than an auto.

---------- Post added at 10:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:37 PM ----------

Rule of thumb for RWD cars is 15% for manual, 20% for auto.
Actually it's a bit more like 15% for auto and 10% for manual.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ehhh I gotta agree with slosix haha both are fun but the auto is more funny cuz I'm lazy and enjoy doing other things while I drive like looking at my interior lighting or changing the radio station.., plus I live in a city so all the down shifting and then shifting gets tiresome

·
Registered
7,145 Posts
lol well we won't get on to that dyno convo again, because mainly i don't wanna have to move this thread out of the tech section for the arguement that would follow...

as i think back i honestly wish i had bought an auto GT...i almost did but the dealer wanted a grand more then it was worth and wouldn't come down so i bought the 5 speed...

1 - 20 of 101 Posts