Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was discussing with a co-worker about our cars. I have a 12 5.0 he has a 12 camaro as convertible. He was telling me he would beat me because he has automatic and I have standard. For the longest time I've been told standard is a few seconds faster then automatic the only thing I've mown about automatics is that they are stronger and last longer. What are your Gus thoughts on this? I've beat many as"s but have no idea if they were automatic or not.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Well automatics are gonna always be constant. With manuals there is always room for improvement. And as you get better with shifting, u will always beat an auto in my opinion. I had the same deal with my buddy who owns a ss auto and always gets beat

·
Lorraine's driver
8,196 Posts
Those 1/4 and 0-60 times they show in magazines, etc. is usually run with a pro driver. With a manual tranny, there is much more room for error, that's probably why your buddy think his can beat you. IMO, anybody can tromp on the gas and go with an auto tranny. It takes more skill and practice to get good times with a manual tranny. Still, that doesn't mean you won't take him at the track. :good:

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
The difference in the real world on the track with equal rear end ratios will be a slight benefit to the auto. That said, the auto ss is only 400hp so if you hit your shifts, he's screwed. I've seen auto ss run high 13 second passes and high 12 second passes. There's no beating the feeling of rowing your own gears for an everyday car imo.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Those 1/4 and 0-60 times they show in magazines, etc. is usually run with a pro driver. With a manual tranny, there is much more room for error, that's probably why your buddy think his can beat you. IMO, anybody can tromp on the gas and go with an auto tranny. It takes more skill and practice to get good times with a manual tranny. Still, that doesn't mean you won't take him at the track. :good:
The problem is that the 'Pro Driver' carries little weight when it is a new car. That being said, auto will consistently put up better times but the new auto 6s peed trannies shift pretty quick. So the pressure is generally on you in the manual.

·
Premium Member
26,052 Posts
for many years autos = slower, in the last few they have caught up. If you can shift fast enough your fine, most autos even today for normal daily cars shift a little slower than they could for comfort. It makes ZERO since for someone to say "because auto ill beat you" when the cars are different.... he sounds like he doesnt know what he is talking about regardless.

·
Registered
525 Posts
All your drag cars are autoss usually power glides,,autos are usually faster ,,manuals are faster on the start,,unless you have a good stall convertor,,If you have a good rathet shifter and strech your gears a little longer like you do with a manual,,i think the autos faster,,you just need a good tune for the shift points and a stall

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
In the drag strip with a GOOD driver the auto and manual are equal, the manual requires more skill to drive. Around a track, autocross or anything that involves turn the manual will not only beat the auto but destroy it (unless it has a dual clutch) lol
Those F1 style tranny will rape the manual :( but manual will always WIN the fun factor.
If i was not going to track/ drive it like i stole it i just would have gotten an auto.
At the end of the day both are bad a$$ just my personal opinion from a guy that has own both

·
Registered
525 Posts
In the drag strip with a GOOD driver the auto and manual are equal, the manual requires more skill to drive. Around a track, autocross or anything that involves turn the manual will not only beat the auto but destroy it (unless it has a dual clutch) lol
Those F1 style tranny will rape the manual :( but manual will always WIN the fun factor.
If i was not going to track/ drive it like i stole it i just would have gotten an auto.
At the end of the day both are bad a$$ just my personal opinion from a guy that has own both
lol,,i will agree they are more fun to drive,,this is my first auto car,,ive always had manuals,,in all the old small block chevys i always drove manuals,,that way i didnt have to worry about idling problems and starting off,,but i still think its kinda cool chirping gears with a auto,,plus i have to have knee surgery,,so when i test drove the mustang i decided to go with the auto..lol

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
DerekJohnScott said:
As far as racing goes manual is better, but an auto is better for dd use. Especially where I live, there are tons of hills.
The 2013 has the hill assist, so the car will never roll back when you start :) I know it is cheating :(

·
Registered
525 Posts
As far as racing goes manual is better, but an auto is better for dd use. Especially where I live, there are tons of hills.
I was watching Pinks all out,,9 sec class,,there was 1 manual racing out of 32,,almost all are 2 speed autos,,some were 3,,even the best driver,,there is still a slight drop between gears,,Manuals are fun to play in the street,,but when you have real hp and 10th of a sec counts,,cant beat a auto

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
mymustang said:
I was watching Pinks all out,,9 sec class,,there was 1 manual racing out of 32,,almost all are 2 speed autos,,some were 3,,even the best driver,,there is still a slight drop between gears,,Manuals are fun to play in the street,,but when you have real hp and 10th of a sec counts,,cant beat a auto
+11. Pinks All OUT is one of my favorite shows!.. Lol. In professional drag racing you want an auto!.. AutoX you want a manual!.. I've got a auto because I do Drag Race, but I also do some AutoX now too!...

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Without a doubt the auto for a hard core drag car would be wayyy better, i was referring to normal car Enthusiast that will be doing a little bit of all type of racing.
I when to the drag strip with my friend and his auto kicked my a$$ lol, i was blaming it on the shifter but he was running low 8 sec all night long. I was running high 8 sec.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
We get a lot of bracket drag racing here and the dial ins are stupid. Lots of the guys get dialed in to the nearest hundredth of a second. Manuals can't compete. I proposed a manual trans bracket instead of class in the cars and blew some people away with the concept. They're gonna run it next year.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts