Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first post, so if I'm in the wrong forum just let me know.

Okay, I've looked this problem up for a couple days now, and have seen some similar threads about this topic, but haven't seen any answers to my problem.

When I bought my mustang, unbeknownst to me, there were no map lights installed in the housing. No biggie, bought a pair from amazon, installation and everything went fine EXCEPT the map lights won't go off!! The push buttons don't do anything and even when I take the key out of the ignition and shut the door, they're still on. Since there were no map lights when i bought the car, the the previous owner obviously had a problem with this as well.

My question is: Has anyone had this problem, and been able to fix it? If so, how? Thinking about taking it somewhere to be looked at, but surely this is an easy fix if I just knew what was going on. Appreciate the feedback.

·
Registered
527 Posts
I just recently put the Hid bulbs in mine and I've noticed they are barely on but stay on .... not exactly the same problem but similar. no clue as to what it is

·
Premium Member
5,416 Posts
Bad Door jamb switch, unless you have LEDs

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just recently put the Hid bulbs in mine and I've noticed they are barely on but stay on .... not exactly the same problem but similar. no clue as to what it is
I've read about that happening with the HIDs, but mine aren't just barely on, they're bright.

---------- Post added at 10:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:39 PM ----------

Bad Door jamb switch, unless you have LEDs
The bulbs i bought were LEDs, but I also tried my buddies stock map lights from his same year/model mustang as mine, with same results.
I was thinking that it could be a bad door jam switch as well, but wouldn't there be a dinging sound like the door was open?

·
Premium Member
5,416 Posts
True unless they removed it or removed a fuse just like they removed the bulbs :) lol does it ding at all??

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think you might be on to something here haha. Now that you mention it, I don't think I ever hear a dinging. Hmm I'll have to check it out in the morning. Thanks

·
Premium Member
5,416 Posts
Oh yeah. First if ya have the manual or if the fuse boxes have kind of a breakdown check all fuses. I'm subscribed so I should see if you figure something out after you check some stuff out. If its just led lights in there I'm pretty sure they use such little power that you could leave em on/in there but if you keep the car out in kinda local area I'd take em out so people can't see all your loot in yer car lol

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just recently started having the same problem with the map lights. Initially it was sporadic, however, this week the lights decided they wanted to be on all the time. It's okay during the day, but very distracting with night driving. Has anyone figured out what the problems is. I have a 2011 Convertible. Thanks!

·
Registered
295 Posts
I know this is going to sound stupid, but have you tried turning the headlight switch/gauge dimmer switch? Every Mustang since 1964 if you turn the dimmer switch all the way in a certain direction it will "click" and keep the interior courtesy lights on. My 1966 and my 2005 do this.

·
Abominable Mustang
1,848 Posts
I know this is going to sound stupid, but have you tried turning the headlight switch/gauge dimmer switch? Every Mustang since 1964 if you turn the dimmer switch all the way in a certain direction it will "click" and keep the interior courtesy lights on. My 1966 and my 2005 do this.
Somebody on here had the same issue a while back and this was the fix. As stupid as it sounds, it's something easily overlooked.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
I've read about that happening with the HIDs, but mine aren't just barely on, they're bright.

---------- Post added at 10:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:39 PM ----------

The bulbs i bought were LEDs, but I also tried my buddies stock map lights from his same year/model mustang as mine, with same results.
I was thinking that it could be a bad door jam switch as well, but wouldn't there be a dinging sound like the door was open?
It didn't happen to my Mustang but it did happen several years ago with a daily driver. Had to have the door fixed after someone backed into it. Got the car back and drove it home. Battery was of course dead the next day. After the second time, I realized that the dome lights never turned off. Took it back and the body guy took it over, realigned it and never had a problem again.

Good Luck!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts