Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking into getting a Mass Air meter, but want to know which is the best one. C & L (http://www.rpmoutlet.com/cnl1mustangv6.htm) is one option Im looking at, but its in a 73mm size. The other is a Pro-M Univer, there are so many options im not sure which to go with (http://www.pro-flow.com/Mustang%20Files/Mustang%209603%2038.htm). If anyone has any input or could tell me which to go with, I would really appreciate it.
Thanks,
-Brooks

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
I personally have had very good luck with C&L mafs. Some people think they are only good for paperweights though and say you are better off to stay with a ford maf and just have a chip burned for whichever ford maf you use. 6 of one half dozen of the other, they recommend the lightening mafs, some even the 02+ GT mafs. Like I said, I like C&L, some people like Pro M, I heard long time ago they couldn't make two mafs that ran the same, so I never bought one.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just put in the sig what is done. The reason I am asking is because there was a recent 5.0 where they did a bunch of bolt-ons for the 3.8 and dyno'd. The Mass Air Meter showed some impressive gains with the NO2.

edit- It was the february issue of 5.0 mustang, with the pro-m univer mass air, the car dyno'd 25hp and 19 tq gain. Its alot, but its in the article.

·
Premium Member
5,187 Posts
I would personally not go with a different MAF and buy 3.73 or 4.10 gears and get a chip or SCT tune especially with the nitrous

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes I would too danger dude, thats whay I have a 8.8'' 3.55 in the basement so thats taken care of. I also have a diablo chip I will get reburned when Im done. Thanks for the input but What Im asking is does anybody have any information on these mass air meters.

·
Premium Member
5,187 Posts
OK then Rick has had good success with C&L but some programmers have had some problems while others have not. ProM is one that alot more programmers have had little problems with. It is a toss up. I would talk to the people who are going to reprogram your chip and ask if they have had any problems

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Dennis Reinhart told me my C&L was a junk MAF before he made my SCT chip, he had never said a thing about it before until then, I told him I had not had any problems with it or another one I had prior to it, and he said ok and burned my chip for it, its been doing great, maybe its a requirement with the "Jerry" programming, LOL. :D

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
I like the fact that C&L uses Factory Ford electronics and you can recalibrate by changing the calibration tube. ProM makes their own electronics, and from all I hear they have never made two sets of electronics the same yet.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Wait until later down the road to upgrade to a new MAF because the hp/tq gains are extremely small and your set-up is not enough to justify a new one.

But if you really do want one just buy a Lightning or 99+ GT Stock Ford MAF and get a chip along with it.

Zach

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
That is why you won't get much gains from it Zach, go to www.cnlperformance.com they have the specs on what gains you will get on a stock v6 with their mafs and the dyno sheets to back them up I believe. http://www.cnlperformance.com/73mm_V6.html I didn't see any dyno sheets, but this is what they have to say, its pretty interesting. Also as near as I can see C&L still only makes the V6 maf to fit up to a 2000 model, I think that is pretty interesting since that article someone linked to on here the other day had a 2003 model v6 with a C&L maf and Mac CAI, this isn't recommended by C&L at all btw. I think it was from RPM not redlined but that other outfit. :-?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Yeah we've heard it all before about the whole C&L MAF. Some people like it and others don't. I will never run one on any of my cars. i know how they work and what they do to make power. Been at many dyno places while cars with C&L intakes and maf's were on the dyno.

The ford maf's are much easier/safer to tune and more reliable.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
All of you people try to make such a big thing out of C&L mafs, in reality its only a maf body, it is still using the stock ford mass air sensor, geez.

·
Premium Member
5,187 Posts
Not really without mods it is sort of a waste. But if you had P&P heads , intakes or a cam it would help. If you had nitrous it would also help.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts