Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put my car back to stock for an upcoming oil change and my check engine light came on. I checked what the problem was with my tune and it said "engine too lean". So I put the race tune back and the check engine light went off. I told them to make sure they dont flash the vehicle, just a straight up oil change. They did confirm that they will not do anything to the ECM. So I am crossing my fingers and hoping every thing will be fine. I will keep you posted on the outcome.

·
It's not me, it's you.
6,205 Posts
Some dealers can be a pita. Mine is pretty cool. No issues with them reflashing my ECM. I've been tuned almost two years.

·
Premium Member
5,408 Posts
I'd safely say that if you asked for an OIL CHANGE ONLY, and specified no ECM updates, and the tech did an ECM update (because there was a TSB out???), and if the vehicle got screwed up, the dealer would be responsible. Just be sure to have the service advisor write the words "no ECM update" on the work order for the oil change. Have it in writing!

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
Even with the update it would be fine. The car doesn't necessarily end up running lean, it's just the computer had to adjust fuel delivery outside of the expected range. The car didn't necessarily run lean for more than a couple of cycles at worst and then the computer made adjustments. The code is just a warning. But you should resolve it asap. Maybe just flash the car when you get it back anyways.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I got the car back and they did not flash it and it is running normal. I was just nervous about that flash. But hypothetically speaking, lets say they did flash the vehicle and it did mess up up the ECM, since I have the Stock on my tuner, would I be able to just upload the stock tune and use a different tune already uploaded in the tuner? Or do I need the dealer to fix it? I agree with Bucko, it would be the dealers fault if warned not to flash, but where I live, FORD would hassle me about it.

·
Registered
3,985 Posts
It would be fine

All you had to do was go home and reinstall the tune. The updating does not mess up or destroy the computer but the dealers have the problems of the car owners going berserk if their car was updated. Since I last answered this on another post I talked to my dealer about this. Just do like you did and ask not to update the ECM.
GET ON OF THESE FROM STEEDA

Ronnie

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
All you had to do was go home and reinstall the tune. The updating does not mess up or destroy the computer but the dealers have the problems of the car owners going berserk if their car was updated. Since I last answered this on another post I talked to my dealer about this. Just do like you did and ask not to update the ECM.

Ronnie

Ronnie, thanks for the advice. I am going to check up on that flash cover asap.

·
It's not me, it's you.
6,205 Posts

http://s410.photobucket.com/user/ronnie948/media/SteedaOBDiicover_zps5b9e1515.jpg.html

Ronnie
Ah that's cool!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Why don't you just change your own oil?
Where I live you can't do it on your own. Too many hippies whining about the environment

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Why don't you just change your own oil?
That's what I do! Way cheaper, I know it's done right, and I don't like letting people drive my car without supervision. :p:

·
It's not me, it's you.
6,205 Posts
I'm gonna start changing my own. My buddy no longer works for my dealer. So, no more $27 oil changes. I've gotta pay full price now. I'd rather just change it myself now.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
They won't let you ?! Wtf do you live?! I've never heard that :/
An apt complex by the beach, No place on the grounds and A do it yourself area. Yeah they exist. If I owned a house then I can do it in my garage but I don't.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts