Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was out last night at the local 1/8 mile track watching with some friends. And anyway one of them drives a 97 camaro V6 witha 5speed, and he wants to race me next time we go out there. he has a flowmaster muffler and a K&N filter and about 150k miles. What do you think my chances are?? he runs about a mid 10sec. I have never been on a track, and I don't think i can really launch my car at all, Ive been told that with an auto you power brake just to the point before you start spinning the tires but that doesnt' take a whole lot. any advice would be nice. I just want to beat him so he will leave me alone about it. lol

Oh and on another note, someone was out there with a 2004 mystic cobra convertable racing it!!!! WTF?!?!?! 1 of 2000 i wouldn't be doing that for sure. anyway he was running about a mid 11 no traction at all, the first time he came through he launched it OFF OF THE REV LIMITER:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
1,438 Posts
sorry to say it but i think the camaro will take u...ive riddin with my bro in his 97 camaro rs before he got his gears or nitrous installed and he raced a 97 gt mustang and took him by 1.5 carlengths to 65, the kid also said he shifted good, dont underestimate the camaro.....

btw the camaro had a thermostat, magnaflow cat back, and k & N installed, im not sure if the mustang had anything else on it besides stock

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
not underestimating, just trying to get an idea on how close it will be. and weren't the RS camaros tuned by SLP??

·
Premium Member
1,438 Posts
nope thats the y87 package i believe, those came with gears, and maybe exhaust and some other better things, the rs just meens it has visual stuff on it like bodykit etc..

·
Registered
941 Posts
falcon is right about the y87, it's a bit better performance package by gm.

i think 97+ is the 3.8l... it'll probably take you. if it's the 160 horse 3.4l you should be able to beat him. don't launch too high or it'll be over before it really begins.

·
Premium Member
1,438 Posts
97+ is 200 hp and a 3.8.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
well im goin out there friday night if its not raining:rolleyes: , but I will def. post a time slip or 2 when I do go

·
Registered
219 Posts
You'll take him. trust me.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I got my ass beat down by a comaro tonight....i didnt bother to find out what he had in it so i paid my 5 bucks and left

·
Premium Member
26,052 Posts
what year did they go to 200hp? 96? if so its highly doubtful you will win having such a HORRIBLE auto tranny.... if you had a manual you should be able to win (considering both are stock) by a car or so

·
Premium Member
26,052 Posts
a stock 99 up auto runs mid 10s in the 8th mile stock.... manuals abotu 10.1 stock give or take a tenth~

1 - 20 of 29 Posts