Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I have a mechanical question. In my 1999 gt when I accelerate you can hear a faint nocking. It only happens between 2500 and 3000 rpms. If I'm accelerating and hear it if I push down a little further on the gas it goes away. A mechanic told me it could be my timing gear and belt but he recommended a whole new engine soley because of my mileage (which is bull****) that's like 6 grand with labor. Does this sound like it could maybe be an issue?

·
Registered
525 Posts
Ok so I have a mechanical question. In my 1999 gt when I accelerate you can hear a faint nocking. It only happens between 2500 and 3000 rpms. If I'm accelerating and hear it if I push down a little further on the gas it goes away. A mechanic told me it could be my timing gear and belt but he recommended a whole new engine soley because of my mileage (which is bull****) that's like 6 grand with labor. Does this sound like it could maybe be an issue?
Im not sure how many miles you have,,but we have 5.4 and 4.6 with closed to 300000 miles and the bottom end are still good,,you need to pinpoint if its vale train or coming from the oil pan,,if its coming from the gears or the chain its a big job,,but a lot cheaper then a whole engine,,can you recreate the noise by reving the engine in park,,

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Im not sure how many miles you have,,but we have 5.4 and 4.6 with closed to 300000 miles and the bottom end are still good,,you need to pinpoint if its vale train or coming from the oil pan,,if its coming from the gears or the chain its a big job,,but a lot cheaper then a whole engine,,can you recreate the noise by reving the engine in park,,
I have a manual so first is my park but I'm not sure. I will check it out in the morning I also have 180,000 miles on her. I just really don't wanna get jerked around by some mechanic

·
Registered
64 Posts
My car just recently started doing the same thing so I parked it. Thought I'd try driving a little more to pinpoint the issue (which I haven't yet) and now the noise is louder and covers a wider range of rpms. My car is parked for the winter either way but I need to figure out the problem and begin fixing it so I have my car come spring. I'll be interested to see what you find with yours. Hopefully we both have an easy fix ahead of us!

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My car just recently started doing the same thing so I parked it. Thought I'd try driving a little more to pinpoint the issue (which I haven't yet) and now the noise is louder and covers a wider range of rpms. My car is parked for the winter either way but I need to figure out the problem and begin fixing it so I have my car come spring. I'll be interested to see what you find with yours. Hopefully we both have an easy fix ahead of us!
Yea I'm parking mine for the winter. We just got like 5 inches if snow in a little over 2 hours here in Cheyenne Wy and it's still snowing. I'm gonna park her try to pin point this problem and I will keep you updated buddy. Also if you manage to pin point this sometime soon keep me posted if you wouldn't mind

·
Registered
105 Posts
I always take mine to Ford when it's a problem that I can't figure out I let them out it on the computer its way better than going to mechanic every time because half the time they just guess at it and that's how they make their money

·
It's not me, it's you.
6,752 Posts
Primer2tone this is why I come here. You always have good advice and are good for a laugh on some posts. If its weak a new pump is only 75$ at auto zone.
Thanks man, I just go by my experiences from when I was a mechanic. Plus, I've had a lot of high mileage cars in the past.

You've gotten a lot of mileage out of that motor. I would put a little money into it and try to squeeze another summer or two out of it but a new motor might be something you'd want to consider in the future. I don't know if you'd rather just trade it in but if the body and suspension are in good shape, you may just want to hang on to it.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The body and suspension are in great shape as is the interior. There is a mustang graveyard about 100 miles from where I live I may start doing some research into what I can get mileage wise from there if I'm not happy ill get the new motor and install with a friend who knows what he's doing

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
i just love how the mechanic told u it was a timing gear and timing belt, lol that was a laugh we all know we are timing chain driven. as for a knock u know it might be as simple as a exhaust leak or even a clutch bearing goin bad, i have a friend that had a knockin sound but as soon as u depress the clutch no more noise, with the clutch off it it made noise on the way down from a rev up. so who knows it can be a simple fix. if anything u can atleast try to pinpoint it by having the car on, then u can simply give it a couple of revs from the throttle body while listening to where the pinging comes from. if u can make a vid it probably will help us better to ananlyze it. all of our cars have issues here and there, this is what makes us who we are and you are right to come ask us on a issue b4 u get your leg pulled at a mech shop.......btw its about 2500 or so, motor and labor at pepboys where i work at to do a motor swap, that 6k is wayyyyyyy to steep.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I always take mine to Ford when it's a problem that I can't figure out I let them out it on the computer its way better than going to mechanic every time because half the time they just guess at it and that's how they make their money
Not knocking ford,,but a knocking sound is not going to show up on their scanner,,and also they are on commision,,so they are not going to spend a lot of time figuring out what is wrong,,ford is more of a parts thrower then most,,they just have a proffesional service writer that will convince you in thinking that you need all the parts..I know a couple of ford guys that do some of our programming for us,,and they said they just go by the codes,,or by bullentins,,they dont make any money on diagnsing for very long

---------- Post added at 06:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:36 AM ----------

i just love how the mechanic told u it was a timing gear and timing belt, lol that was a laugh we all know we are timing chain driven. as for a knock u know it might be as simple as a exhaust leak or even a clutch bearing goin bad, i have a friend that had a knockin sound but as soon as u depress the clutch no more noise, with the clutch off it it made noise on the way down from a rev up. so who knows it can be a simple fix. if anything u can atleast try to pinpoint it by having the car on, then u can simply give it a couple of revs from the throttle body while listening to where the pinging comes from. if u can make a vid it probably will help us better to ananlyze it. all of our cars have issues here and there, this is what makes us who we are and you are right to come ask us on a issue b4 u get your leg pulled at a mech shop.......btw its about 2500 or so, motor and labor at pepboys where i work at to do a motor swap, that 6k is wayyyyyyy to steep.
Even a complete ford engine,,with everything ready to fire up,,sensors and all,,was only 2800 from ford..

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Not knocking ford,,but a knocking sound is not going to show up on their scanner,,and also they are on commision,,so they are not going to spend a lot of time figuring out what is wrong,,ford is more of a parts thrower then most,,they just have a proffesional service writer that will convince you in thinking that you need all the parts..I know a couple of ford guys that do some of our programming for us,,and they said they just go by the codes,,or by bullentins,,they dont make any money on diagnsing for very long

---------- Post added at 06:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:36 AM ----------

Even a complete ford engine,,with everything ready to fire up,,sensors and all,,was only 2800 from ford..
Good to know its half the price of this shady mechanic

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Shady is correct, with those 6k you can make yours into one sick beast. Rebuild, cut and gut, then full blown forged :headbang:

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Shady is correct, with those 6k you can make yours into one sick beast. Rebuild, cut and gut, then full blown forged :headbang:
+1 or say ftw and go 4v and blown :D

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
+2

I've seemed to have a decent experience with Ford dealers. I'm almost positive, they start by reading the code first then search for a TSB.
Usually how it goes read for a code check a tsb anything more than that and its the cost of what a diagnostic would be just to start which usually takes like 3 hrs

·
Registered
525 Posts
+2

I've seemed to have a decent experience with Ford dealers. I'm almost positive, they start by reading the code first then search for a TSB.
Well the thing is alot of times the code is sometimes directly what the problem is,,so if they scann it read the code ,,replace what the code says it is ,,then your good,,but if it requires more diagnosing,,they are not getting paid much for that ,,so thats when parts are thrown at your expense..That doesnt include everyone,,theres some good honest mechanics out there,,but they are the ones probably that doesnt make as much money,,because they acually figure out the problem and replace the right part..everything is get it fixed as fast as you can,,so people can have their car back,,so that sometimes includes parts that are probably not needed..

1 - 20 of 35 Posts